Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > Social Group Forums > Stringwalking

Old 06-24-2010, 07:31 AM

RCM is on a distinguished road
Default Serious Consideration

Hi all,

I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to have to seriously consider this aiming method to further my archery. I have been a student of Len Cardinale for the last year and my form and consistency are now where I want them.

I have had major problems with gapping and Point of aim as I cannot see the arrow in my peripheral vision until I am at 30 yards with three under due to being near sighted. This has caused great frustration for me.

Today I decided to give string walking a try. I have to say that I was amazed what can be done with it. My only other option was to go to sights.

Rusty and Scooter,

I have followed your posts on this subject on the main forum and want to thank you for getting me to consider this as an option. I look forward to learning here.

Rich
Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Thanked 4,233 Times in 2,611 Posts
Sam Dunham is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Serious Consideration

Hey RCM, I have thought of the same thing, although I'm content split/gapping for now. The advantage is the same aiming plane for every shot!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Hey Sam,

You aint whistling Dixie bro. The bane of my archery has been a 5 yard hunting shot on small game. It frustrates the crap out of me when I can hit a mark at near 50 yards with reasonable accuracy and time after time miss such a close shot. You go through all that ambush work to shoot over or under the darn thing.

Well today that changed ha ha. I could not believe how fast I could hit that crawl because I have been doing it in the basement. Point right under with the top of arrow on the mark and bang, just like a sight and no vision problem there.

I can now use this to 25 yards and then gap to 60 as my peripheral vision works past 25 yards. Yea ha I feel like a kid with a new toy.

Rich

Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 PM

Thanked 4,233 Times in 2,611 Posts
Sam Dunham is on a distinguished road

Yessir! I have a crawl tied on my hunting Bow for those close up, straight down shots on a Deer. Have fun with it for sure! So many things a guy can do with our equipment, it's great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Dunham For This Useful Post:
RCM (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Barefaced tightropewalker

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,144 Posts
Greysides is on a distinguished road

Maybe you've seen this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at. - lbg

Most people practice their shooting instead of using the act of shooting to practice their concentration. Joel Turner.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greysides For This Useful Post:
RCM (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks Greysides,

I have all the technicals already worked out. Believe it or not I am able to get a tune that keeps a bare shaft dead on from split finger to three under to about my 25 yard crawl. The bow is doing real well for an off the shelf setup. Form wise I am in good shape as well. It has not taken too long to get some coarse crawls of 10 - 20 - 30 yards and slightly gap the in-between yards.

My biggest reason for this is to overcome a deficiency in peripheral vision so I cannot have large gaps. My friends always thought it funny that my groups got tighter past 20 yards. These crawls really are changing that.

For a while I followed all of Rusty and Scooter's threads. I found all of them interesting.

Rich
Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Barefaced tightropewalker

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,144 Posts
Greysides is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The bane of my archery has been a 5 yard hunting shot on small game.
I was told of a trick/technique for close up shots. It doesn't suit me as I wear glasses.

Hold the string just under the neck, you need to get the nock to the level of the centre of your eye and look down 'through' the shaft to the target. At close distances, at least up to 10m, the arrow hasn't time to rise appreciably from its line on the bow.

I can't give a better description than that, and it's from memory, as it's not something I've been able to practice.

If it suits your vision, give it a try! I may a little of in the description but it should be very similar to what I've written.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at. - lbg

Most people practice their shooting instead of using the act of shooting to practice their concentration. Joel Turner.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 AM

Bowlim is on a distinguished road

The way I would gap that shot if I had your issues, and I have a few of my own, is to pick a spot to aim at that isn't the rabbit. Bang. Anyway, 50 years of instinctive, and I might just slap him. I am enjoying gap and SW, however, they do add a formality that is useful to an instinctive shooter if you can't hit the range all that often.

Tags
consideration, serious