Trad Talk Forums banner

Perception

Tags
perception
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Sam Dunham 
#1 ·
Sam started an interesting topic on the political forum. Perception. Well there is another aspect of perception besides whether we are concerned with how others perceive us or not. That is how we are seen vs what we really are in our heart. One aspect of that discussion which I see can pertainain to the Christian Fellowship Forum is the "warrior" in us or the lack of "the warrior's heart" in us.

I don't think many of us have this heart. Who among us will go into harms way when we are told to? What percentage of the population will willingly volunteer to serve in Special Forces or elite combat units? How many among us are willing to give our life for God, Family or Country? (https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...f473416e759_story.html?utm_term=.8b787123931f) In that poll many said they would, but like Peter, will the cock crow two or three times before they find out they really don't have that kind of courage?

Something in my heart and I'm sure in the hearts of many here on these forums we participate in on Tradtalk have a deep gratitude and respect for those who have or still do. Very likely some of us have and very likely some of us have been found lacking.

We all like to think we will put it all on the line for our family. Nice thought, but how many in this country even stay around long enough to see their children grow up and mature? How many are now willing to let someone else serve and protect them? God, Family, Country. Finally, the first that is last in the poll but listed as first when it comes to how we want to be perceived (by some) is God. Our nation now has it backwards if we even still have it at all. God is last and that may well be why we have turmoil everywhere we look today.

If you believe you serve God, Family and Country (even if in a different order) let me ask this. How many here can say that they know that God has told them to do something, in service to His kingdom, and have obeyed? When we pass from this life into the next will Jesus be able to say He knew you personally and that you also know Him personally, having responded to the will of God?

See less See more
Reactions: Sam Dunham
#2 ·
I did risk my life every day most of my adult life for others and chose to do it because it was what I felt I should do.

I do not worry a lot anymore what most people think of me because you will never be able to meet everyone's expectations of their perceptions and beliefs in life.

I try to be fair but in this secular society it is impossible "to be all things to all Men". Most have their heads down on cell phones and or have whole different perceptions and doctrines as to what the Bible doctrines are interpreted to mean.

I just go John 3-16 ROMANS 8 and walk on.

I am no pushover and never have been. I am no politician and never have been. I do not kiss a lot of rumps and never will to be perceived as a popular gent. I am me and want to be better every day by just not buying into any BS. I am thankful for what I have and when I can help others. I am thankful for those who have helped me and have passed it on.

#3 ·
I knew you would respond Sam and I know you have served God, Family and Country and have paid a price for doing so. This may be hard to get said correctly.....Your thread stopped where no one dared to venture; or so it seems.

There seems to always be a price to be paid. Jesus warns that those who truly follow Him will be persecuted. It is inevitable because a disciple will have been changed inside. He will no longer follow the ways of the world, but will seek after God's righteousness in his own life with the help of the Holy Spirit and the Body of Christ. The world at large will be offended by what "they perceive" as a holier than thou attitude and will most likely react accordingly. It doesn't help that many are seen as hypocrites because they only played the part without the real change to their hearts and without the help of the Holy Spirit or the true Body of Christ and have caused the world to see their falsehood which has hurt and hindered what Christ died for.

The disciple will have a new heart which is similar to that of a warrior who will face danger for God, Family, Country, Money or whatever. But I don't want to get into the disciples heart right now. What touches me is what happens to our warriors who are changed inside in order to be able to go into harms way with a heart to serve and protect and take on any enemy wherever he may be who threatens what they hold to be dear to their hearts.

It seems that many times there is a price to be paid for that commitment that others may not understand or be able to tolerate. It surfaces and can be seen as a "zeal", sometimes as too strong for others to understand; and sometimes it is too strong and that is part of the price paid.

I think after WW2 there were so many who came home having suffered together that there was more understanding and compassion for what everyone went through. But even then there was a huge price to be paid. Image going to bed at night and seeing the horrors of war replayed over and over. When I was working on a WW2 vet's car once and a kid overfilled his bike tire and blew it, my body barely flinched, but he saw it. He put his hand on my shoulder and said "it took me 20 years to get over that".

We may never know what changes have happened to our warriors or truly understand the hearts they were born with. I'm glad they are among us. We need to have a heart for them and try to understand each other more. I know, it ain't easy sometimes. Maybe we should simply remember a good teaching of Jesus when He told us to look at the log in our own eye first before we try to take the splinter out of our brothers eye. He said that to both warriors and pacifists, conservatives and liberals, those who would follow Him and those who would abandon Him.

#4 ·
Yes, Grizzly and after WW2 so many of us Christians will support Israel with our own lives if need be? Somewhat off the subject but relevant to your reference.

Very thick skin is required these days and I am talking about both spiritual and mental. You know all the battles short of a War are actually fought in the mind anyway.

I do not let it weigh (worries) upon my mind much anymore. I keep my mind on good things like Archery or family but am thankful for those who have helped me both here and in the World. You know the truth is I have escaped death way too many times to have not been protected from evil by divine intervention. I know Christ has warned me or protected me so many times. I trained all the time but that is only part of the equation.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.