Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 07:40 PM

OsageAssassin is on a distinguished road
Default I'd like your opinion please

So I'm in kind of a rough spot, ive been looking for a good longbow this fits me for a reasonable price for a while now, though it's been on the back burner because life happens. However, on my yearly Turkey hunt I've stumbled upon an incredible deal on what seems to be an older Wes Wallace TD longbow, it's his Royal. It's in really really good condition the grip is barely worn from use, it is a 55# and also has his Bamboo limbs. And the Grip is flat/round and uncontoured which Is the only thing I don't like about this bow. It's length, poundage, etc is perfect. And best of all it's 300$

I want it pretty bad and to my knowledge this is an incredible find. However I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger immediately. I've put money down on it so they'll hold it for me for a month.

The debate here is should I go more practical and get this bow or put the money I have set aside for things like this towards something else. That being sword fighting gear. I have taken long sword classes (yes I'm a nerd I know) and have been looking to purchase my first sword for a while as well, and while the 300$ isn't quite enough to buy said sword, it would be enough to but all the other gear I need to go back to lessons (the club no longer rents to members). I would probably use the bow more often, football keeps me in pretty constant exhaustion so the motivation to go to classes is less than using the bow.

I'm definitely leaning towards the bow but I'd really like to hear what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 PM

cch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I'd like your opinion please

Watch Napolean Dynomite. He says to get chicks you have to have Bowhunting skills and nothing about swords.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cch For This Useful Post:
BassBoysLLP (05-04-2017), dbake (05-01-2017), HALFCAWKT (05-04-2017), MarkJoel60 (05-18-2017), OsageAssassin (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:29 PM

Daniel L is on a distinguished road

Heh - yes I'm sure many guys can relate with multiple competing "interests"

End of the day, do what makes you happy - but one thing I've learned about major purchases is that if there is something you don't like about it (e.g. the bow grip) it will always gnaw at it even though you got a great deal.

"Buy one, cry once" after you know what you really want and need.

So my best humble advice... save up for what you REALLY want, and get it as close to PERFECT as you can. In the meantime, enjoy other stuff and keep on researching.

I'm sure you can get creative and figure out ways to save up, and make some extra money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel L For This Useful Post:
OsageAssassin (04-30-2017)

Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 AM

Bowmania is an unknown quantity at this point

What can you kill with a sword?

And if you could get close enough to anything it wouldn't be legal in my state. Where's Fife?

When I first switched to a longbow I didn't like the grip. Now, I don't like grips that are not longbowish. Your pretty new to archery, so you probably don't know how to grip anyway. Think 45 next time out.

Bowmania
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowmania For This Useful Post:
OsageAssassin (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:25 AM
j-san = Jason

j-san is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you made up your mind already, but want some justification for your decision. I would go for the bow, since it seems to be the way you are leaning. This is TradTalk, after all. If it were SwordTalk, we would probably be telling you to get the sword gear. Sword fighting is cool. I practiced kendo for a good while but had to set it aside once school demanded more of me.
- GrizzlyStik Qarbon Nano QN2 62" 45#

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to j-san For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 AM

moog5050 is on a distinguished road

Bow, bow and bow. Then a sword.
The Following User Says Thank You to moog5050 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 AM

reddogge is on a distinguished road

Wes Wallace makes a fine bow and that is a great deal on one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reddogge For This Useful Post:
BassBoysLLP (05-04-2017), OsageAssassin (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmania View Post
What can you kill with a sword?

And if you could get close enough to anything it wouldn't be legal in my state. Where's Fife?

When I first switched to a longbow I didn't like the grip. Now, I don't like grips that are not longbowish. Your pretty new to archery, so you probably don't know how to grip anyway. Think 45 next time out.

Bowmania

Thank you for the reply! And Lol well to be fair, you can't cut a man in half with a bow, or can you?
And Fife is in WA, right by Tacoma.

I wouldn't say I'm new to Archery, I've been shooting most of my life, but, I'm definitely not very well versed, meaning I haven't shot a bunch of different bows/styles, I just learned a lot of the terminology in the last two or three years lol, but growing up shooting all I had was my grandpa, which worked fine since I wasn't very concerned with variety, the longbow he gave me was enough for me. The only reason I'm not a fan of the grip is because it doesn't feel like it "sits" in the crook of my hand like my recurve does. It feels really thick and bulky in my hand, I have to really flex my thumb hard to grip the bow, when I draw it back the pressure it applies to my thumb feels like it's at an odd angle, it doesn't feel like I can really relax my grip to let the bow jump upon release without losing it out of my hand. What do you mean by think 45? Please do elaborate! And also if I'm not gripping right please explain what is correct.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM

JusAguy is on a distinguished road

"Think 45" - i suspect Bowmania means 45lbs instead of 55lbs.... That's what i was thinking anyway.

Otherwise, i've been in the spot you're in with conflicting interests. That's a tough spot to be in...

That aside, Daniel L (from Singapore) i believe gave some excellent advise and i echo it wholeheartedly.

If you're spending some long-saved up cash and there is *ANYTHING* less than perfect about the item (no matter how sweet the deal seems), that flaw will become a continually growing irritation until you no longer use that bow and seek out a replacement.

The bow may be a superb value and wonderful in all other regards, but if even now there is something that you notice which is uncomfortable or not utterly perfect you will regret the purchase.

Been there. Done that.
The Following User Says Thank You to JusAguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM

jons is on a distinguished road

I got a Wes Wallace Royal T/D 46# on order, may be my last bow and looking forward into the hunt with it, although I primary hunt with a recurve but a fine shooting long bow is sweet in the field, just change from a loose grip from the recurve to a solid grip with the longbow, the bow will tell you what works. Enjoy the hunt.
The Following User Says Thank You to jons For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,852 Posts
stevelong is on a distinguished road

"think 45" refers to the angle your bow hand is at, or should be, in gripping the bow - - not vertical, not horizontal, but at a 45 degree angle.
there's a picture posted somewhere that illustrates it well........does someone have this handy?
The Following User Says Thank You to stevelong For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Tom M is on a distinguished road

If I was you I would try the bow. Wes used the bigger sleeve in his first TD's. They make for a bigger grip. His later TD's use the smaller sleeve and the grip is pretty close to his one piece. I have a one piece now for 15 years. Nothing fancy, Elm limb cores and a plain grained wood riser. But pound for pound it out shoots my Bear TD with older factory limbs. It loves heavy wood arrows which gives me a chance to make some from time to time. The bow pulls 55# but I use 65-70 spine shafts.

I also have to many hobbies. When I was building my "tool chest" of hand tools for bamboo fly rod making my archery took a hit for awhile. It happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 AM

Hades is on a distinguished road

Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2503.JPG (94.5 KB, 197 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
DDD (05-18-2017), OsageAssassin (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Here you go

Thank you!

I get the "45" thing now lol, but that's how I grip my bow naturally just because it's the only comfortable way (that I've found anyways) so I'm glad I know how it's referred to. Thank you very much.

Hades (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 PM

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,089 Posts
JParanee is on a distinguished road

Get the sword and look for a lighter bow
The Following User Says Thank You to JParanee For This Useful Post:
OsageAssassin (05-03-2017)

Tags
opinion