Trad Talk Forums banner

Let's talk bolt downs!

Tags
bolt downs
11K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Sam Dunham 
#1 ·
Dadgummit they are hard to beat! I especially love a Black Bear with a set of Good Quinn limbs and like to drill index pins right in the riser pockets for the limbs to index centerline.

The Quinn limbs would loose about 8 pounds on a BB riser. Doe's anyone have definitive info on Sage limbs and preload?

How long are Sage limbs? I may be doing some Quinns on a BB in the next week or so? If I do,,will show how to drill and index the limbs.

Come on and post up about your bolt down non ILF's!!:highfive:

#27 ·
Hello All
I took a Old Wing compound down for the riser.I posted a pic here on this web site.
After a closer look at the riser. I noticed it had rockers.
I measured them and they had been cut from a 1 inch dowel rod.

They must have used 2 dowel rods. Reason being. The rocker is 1/2 inch high. Most likely oak. And they were fasten to the limb. Makes me wonder if 1/2 inch is a standard height. Based on some other black ones I have [ Later

#29 ·
Hello All
Sorry if I left the impression it was finished. Farr Bit. Just getting started.
But I will be using a rocker.Unless my coffee grinder changes his mind. [ Smile

Here is the thread. Of a White left handed Wing. I have always wanted to shoot a left handed recurve. [ Later

http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=505152#post505152

#30 ·
Ok, so it's finished for now. I decided to leave the original finish on the riser, just touched up a few chips, and painted the slip in limb pockets flat black. I am staying with the vintage late '70's berger button and flipper rest, installed a set of limbsavers I had laying around, installed some rubber whiskers in the string, a bow sling, tip protector (that may end up getting dyed black) and a foam dabbed camo pattern on the face of the limbs.

I'm shooting GT UL600's as my final choice. They are full length with insert, 100 gr point, std GT nock and 4" Vanetec vanes. They weigh 345 grs and chrono 173 fps, 3 feet from the chrono at 36-37#.

I tested them yesterday with 100 gr Slick Trick Razor Tricks and they shot exactly like the field points, and to the same POI. I have used the Razor Tricks previously and didn't expect anything different. KE comes in at 22.9 ft/lbs, not too shabby.

I am also attaching a pic of the nock I shot off the first day I shot it at 20 yds.

FYI, if you shim the limbs under the slip in limb pockets where the rockers were, you can adjust tiller and beef up the DW as well. I was going to boost the weight until I hit the stack point but decided what for, as I'm liking the DW where it is now.

So now I'm thinking, just how much am I going to use my 21" Excel / Black Max that I setup last year?

Attachments

#39 ·
Dial calipers and measure the riser pocket width. Then measure the limb butt width, subtract and divide by two. That is the side thickness you need for each side. Elementary my dear WATSON!:shooting:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.