Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 AM

Sauk Mtn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VAP Configs...want input from the pros please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
I realize you can get away with it on some setups but why would you use veins on a traditional bow. It has to hit the riser at some point
Vanes work better for a lot of people, myself included, and they'll only hit the riser if the setup isn't tuned properly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauk Mtn For This Useful Post:
Jinkster (03-20-2017), Sam Dunham (03-22-2017)
Remove Ads
Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,158 Posts
Jinkster is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help folks and somewhere along the line?...a few things must have come together for me here!

I got (1) arrow fletched when I came home from work (while I was planning to fletch 3) and figured I better go shoot it with a couple bare shafts just to see and make sure all is well before I proceeded fletching them all and?...

This was from 20yds...

25yds...

and 30yds...

and got so excited I couldn't put it down and then ran in for the chrono and?...

In the vid "Comment" box...

This is my Borders 25" Tempest riser w/ Hex7 (shorts) making a 66"/38# rig set-up for Barebow...it sports a Spig ZT magnetic flipper rest with a Beiter micro-adjust plunger...the arrows are full length (31") Victory VAP V1's in .500 spine with 120gr points..the 2 bare shafts weigh 317grs while te flex-fletched arrow weighs 327grs for 8.6GPP...making a well tuned and extremely accurate BB rig!

Thanks for the helpful confirmations folks!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Sometimes adding more pt weight in an effort to try and weaken the spine of an arrow that's a little to stiff has the opposite effect. I know from my own experience. I don't pay to much attention to gpm. If I was going to look at anything it would be FOC balance. Haven't used it in a while. But you should be able to find a calculator on the web some where.
Found a calculator @ archery calculator.com
Just checked one of my VAP's it is from the throat of the nock to the end of the shaft was 28.25 with and 80 gr pt. The FOC was 11.06 percent
My CXL 150 at 33" with a 100 gr pt has a 12.12 percent FOC
Knowing this when I get a good flying arrow and check it will more than likely have nearly the same FOC. It gives me a measurable base line to use for any arrow I try.
Wilson...Thanks and as an afterthought?...(like so many things I do these daze! LOL!)...I just measured and balanced measured these VAP's (now that some are fletched) and good, bad or indifferent?...at the calculator sight you shared here I plugged in 31.75" (nock throat too end of point) and it balanced at 20.5"s and this calculated out too an FOC of...14.56692%

A bit more FOC than what you have but they are flying great...and by that I guess I mean..."Consistently Stable Flight"...to the extreme...words can't express how pleased I am with regards to how this rig is shooting these arrows...Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 04:46 PM

I Think?...It might be time for me to hang a NFAA 20yd Single Spot up and start playing the big boy game with the rest of the cool kids....

3fletched/2 Bare from 20...Last group of the night and left me smiling.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:25 PM

Wilson is on a distinguished road

Glade it helped Bill. Think the percentage you got is a good number. It kinda puts the pilot back in the cockpit.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
Wilson...Thanks and as an afterthought?...(like so many things I do these daze! LOL!)...I just measured and balanced measured these VAP's (now that some are fletched) and good, bad or indifferent?...at the calculator sight you shared here I plugged in 31.75" (nock throat too end of point) and it balanced at 20.5"s and this calculated out too an FOC of...14.56692%

A bit more FOC than what you have but they are flying great...and by that I guess I mean..."Consistently Stable Flight"...to the extreme...words can't express how pleased I am with regards to how this rig is shooting these arrows...Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wilson For This Useful Post:
Jinkster (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Glade it helped Bill. Think the percentage you got is a good number. It kinda puts the pilot back in the cockpit.

Mike
Yes it does Mike!

Matter fact?...it seems a little "Auto-Pilot" slipped in there as well and has resulted in a very forgiving combo where even when my release isn't 100%?...the flight of the arrows still is...bare shafts included!

It's shooting so good in fact that at one point I started getting a little sloppy and that's when I realized I was "Rushing Things"...excited to the point I just couldn't wait to see that next perfect arrow fly and had to slow myself down...which was about 6 ends before that last group posted above where I'd nock the next arrow and then just stand there for 15-20 seconds enjoying the sunset before drawing again...it was great...thanks man!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jinkster For This Useful Post:
Wilson (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:34 PM

Thanked 4,119 Times in 2,538 Posts
Sam Dunham is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: VAP Configs...want input from the pros please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
I realize you can get away with it on some setups but why would you use veins on a traditional bow. It has to hit the riser at some point
That is all I shoot. Why not?

Tags
configswant, input, pros, vap