Trad Talk Forums banner

New form vid English Longbow

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  sperki 
#1 ·
Hiya guys,

I've been working on Pip Bickerstaffe's book on how to shoot the English longbow. Since I still was in the middle of the indoor competition season, I haven't had the chanced to practice with the longbow. I did implement what I learned with my lighter competition bow. When you go, you go all the way regardless of where you are in the competition.

I changed a lot so my scores are both better and all over the place. More and more yellow hits though, which makes me really happy.

I can almost shoot my bow with a loose bow hand (sometimes I still hold it when I don't pay attention). I use my middle finger as a 'stopper' so that it doesn't jump out of my hand. Just lightly touching the bow.
I have started to shoot with a slightly open stance but with my hips on line with the target. This is difficult to maintain when I'm tired. Might be a woman's issue with wider hips?
The bent bow arm and leaning slightly forward with the lb.
And I've been working on my release when LBG told me about my 'second release'. I think I let go of the string and pull back at the same time. It's visible in the slomo vids.

So I present to you my new and improved form haha. Don't mind the expressions on my face. I can't smile and shoot.

And after I quit laughing...

And one nice slomos

What do you think? And please be nice haha

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
No, that's a learned behaviour to keep my arrow on the shelf. The slick stick I normally shoot somehow let's the arrow twist/glide of it's shelf. Everyone that shot with it has that same problem. I have no idea why. I use it as a draw length check too.

I currently having the most trouble with the bent bow arm because my bow is so heavy. Pip states a bent bow arm is preferred over a straight but unlocked bow arm. I found out: bent bow arm = no string slap.
Is string slap normal with English longbows? I've heard that before... It's not that hard, but will get annoying in a days shooting.

I'm starting on a training regimen of shooting a few shots every day. My strength will go up, and my joints and tendons will tighten. Then I can shoot it more and more and eventually shoot it easily.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-C115 met Tapatalk

#6 ·
Shoot in the Hunnish/Chinese fashion with a thumbring and the opposite side of the grip and no shelf :

I do same thing . . . it aligns my wrist & forarm to the bow, and allows for a clean release and follow through .

Regards,

John

#13 ·
Well.... nobody seems to be sure about that. I have had to defend my time at anchor more than once. I guess 1-2 seconds... I'm getting a lighter longbow that will be in between these two bows. The longbow has a lot more weight in it's limbs and therefore more handshock.

#15 ·
No haha, but anything longer than two seconds will get you some negative responses. So draw, touch, loose is the way to go in both the longbow and the "instinctive" bow division.

Edit: I aim before drawing.

#16 ·
Whichever bow you are messing with, try to work on the same release follow though. Me, I like to follow through and rub the bottom of my ear. Some like to touch thier shoulder, some the back of thier head. Whatever the case, consistency will be a big improvement to the group downrange.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Maybe because it was new, and not your home yet. Most likely the culprit was the lighter bow. Lighter weight you need to focus more on follow though than with a heavier weight. I get lazier if I'm not paying attention when I drop even a couple of pounds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Good to know!
I've been working hard on my release. Lbg noticed I had developed a second release. After taking the time to ponder that possibility, it suddenly came to me why it developed. My glove got too big and slid off my fingers upon the loose. To counter that I started to let go of the string as well as pull back on it. I'm working with the tab now to unlearn actively letting go and to let the string escape on its own.

#20 ·
Can I point out that this thread is what makes this site great. I don't post very often; I'm not confident enough to be pointing out others folks flaws. But I read through the posts regularly because I always appreciate learning something that might help me out. Or even just inspire me to fling a few more arrows when I wouldn't have otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.