Trad Talk Forums banner

NFAA 300 round

Tags
300 nfaa round
65K views 329 replies 59 participants last post by  mamba 
#1 · (Edited)
Great to see some guys finally posting their scores.

I shot a 300 round today with a score of 254.

I shoot a 69lbs. SAIII Widow, 30.5" 2419 arrows, 155g. points, split finger, index finger in the corner of my mouth, bow canted at 1:30, split vision or instinctive gap as I like to call it.

Ray

#3 · (Edited)
Heathen,

The NFAA 300 round consists of:

Distance - 20yrds.

Target - NFAA 300 round paper target, which consists of 5 scoring rings (5,4,3,2,1)

Number of arrows shot/ round = 5

Total number of rounds = 12

Classifications - Barebow, Freestyle, Freestyle Limited, Competitive Bowhunter, Freestyle Bowhunter, Freestyle Limited Bowhunter, Traditional, Freestyle Limited Recurve/Longbow

For more details check out the NFAA website - http://www.nfaa-archery.org/field/styles.cfm

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have anything on the NFAA 300 indoor round.

A score between 200 and 220 is good.
A score between 220 and 240 is really good.
A score between 240 and 260 is great.
A score between 260 and 280 is exceptional.
Anything above that is well...in human ;)

A score of 240 is like putting all 60 of your arrows in the 10 ring of a 20yrds. deer target.

Ray

#4 ·
Improvement

Now lets see if I can give all the information Black Wolf asked for. (grin)
Me, my cane and I, shot a 30 target, 3D course where the targets ranged from 15 to 30 yards up and down steep hills, over creeks, and under cliffs. It was scored 11,10,8, and 5. My score was by no means a winner and I have shot higher scores before, but it was the FIRST TIME I have shot a complete round without a miss. I shot a 64" Black Widow PMA V, 47# @ 31" drawn to 26-1/2"and shot 384gr XX75 1913's, cut to 29-1/4". Next time my goal is to cut down on my 5's. Oh, by the way, my score was 223. I know the score does not compare to you fellows, but I felt it was good for a 70 year old cripple. (grin)

gg

:)

#5 ·
Just got back from our last league night and posted a 259.

I thought(bad move LOL) I had a chance at a personal best and thru the last 2 arrows away :sbrug: a dang 2 and a 3 :mistake: oh well thats still my best on league night.

I shoot a 58# hummingbird longbow off the shelf with beman ics classics,29.5" 4000,s with 125 up front.

I,m planning on going down next Mon also even though the league is finished,some of the guys will be here for a make up anyway.Also plan to shoot another 300 this Sun getting ready for the states next Sun. That,ll be my first large scale compition.It,ll be mostly wheel shooters but thats okay.I,ll need to do better than I did tonight to win but it,ll be FUN just the same

#8 · (Edited)
Black Wolf,

Still have a ways to go, but hope to continue to make baby-step improvements.

I use a modified shotgun aiming system. The draw is very critical to me. I draw straight back, while looking straight down the arrow at the target. Mentally I keep the cock feather in my peripheral vision and draw it as close to my eye as I can as I anchor my forefinger against my cheek bone, and place my thumb into the hollow under the cheek bone. The field point is placed right under the quarter size target. Using the feather as a rear sight, the field tip as a front sight and the target as an apple, I get the typical pistol sight picture of "an apple on the fence post". If my draw is done correctly, I can keep my arrows on a tennis ball at 20 yds. Trouble is even though I know what to do, I have a hard time getting my body to cooperate. (smile) So that tennis ball grows to the size of a basketballl, quite often. This occurs quite often on the last ten 3D targets when I start getting tired.

gg :shooting:

#9 ·
Optional Contribution Rating
Negative Positive
Date: 18-Feb-04

Since it looks like nobody,s gonna wanna post a low score I,ll post my first for the year 87 out of 150.I shot a nice group at a piece of tape than put up the target for score and sprayed them all over.Talk about target panic LOL My personal best is 133 out of 150.I,ll post anther score later.

I copied that post from the 150 league thread tha limbwalker started on the wall
It,s only to show any lurkers that it,s very possible to bring their scores up and to not be detered by any high scores that may be posted here.We ALL started off lower and are willing to help ANYBODY improve.

"What type of aiming system do you use...instinctive or other?"
Mmmmmmmmmmm, I was kinda wonderin that myself LOL.I guess its kinda like what you call instinctive gap.

I bring my bow arm up with preasure on the string trying to keep both shoulders down low(shrug position sorta) and draw straight back.While drawing I do see the arrow and make sure it,s pointed at the target,it kinda forms a line.Once the whole sight picture looks right I release and try to maintain that picture till the arrow hits.

I don,t look at the arrow I just see it as I,m drawing as a double check of sorts that it,s where it should be in order to hit the spot.What,s my gap?? I don,t have a clue LOL

Keep the shoulders down and maintain back tension useing a good hook on the string and it just works.It,s when I start thinkin that things go :mistake:

#11 ·
There sometimes seems to be an intimdation factor over here,thats why I wanted others to see that it wasn,t all that long ago when breakin 200 was a good thing.

That 259 I shot last night was one of my better score,s .Right now it,s not that hard for me to get 240 but that seems to be about my average for the 12 wk league.Ofcourse I,m alittle better now than when I started LOL hopefully I,ll keep those high 250,s for an average and get into the 270+ range on good days

By the way breakin 200 with a stick isn,t all that bad guys so please don,t be intimidated by higher score,s.Just remember that YOU can do it too. There are guys that,ll help if thats what you,d like.....just ask and we,ll do our best

#12 ·
Learn from Dumb***!

Made a huge, dumb, strategic, ego driven, etc. etc. mistake today. Got my new riser in the mail yesterday from Warf, real late in the day, and put my limbs on went out shot a few arrows, came back inside, got some advice and tried to set up my Warfer inside without shooting. Went out this morning before the meet, ran a dozen arrows through it at various yardages and took it to the 3D meet to shoot.

Don't ever take a new bow to a meet, without going through the full tuning process. Make sure you don't need to adjust anything. Shoot the bow for a few days. Instant gratification just wont get it if you want to shoot a new bow like it can be shot and like you should be able to do it. Last weeks score dropped from 223 to 177 on a 30 target course. I went from the first shoot in which I did not miss a target, to shooting completely over five critters and getting high 5's on 6 more.

I have seen hunters come in buy a new bow and go out to hunt the next day. Disrespect for the critters. I showed the same disrespect for foam today.

gg

DONT EVER TAKE A NEW UNTESTED, UNSHOT, BOW TO A FOAM HUNT!!!!!!! :goodvevil

#13 ·
I was off Sun mornin and shot a 236. It seems nice to be "off" and still shoot a fairly decent score,I even kept up with some of the compounders with that score LOL.Most of the wheel guys and gals where much higher than that,the ones that weren,t were quite old and one was shootin a 45# compound barebow. I keep thinkin I need to drop 5#,s and get into the low 50,s,that just may help out my shooting but for now I gotta shoot what I got to shoot

#14 ·
I haven't touched my indoor set-up (34# 68" recurve and 547g 2214 X7 arrows) since shooting the State NFAA Indoor where my last round was a 260. Decided to give some QuikSpin vanes a try (in place of my 4" feathers) so after they got set up (glue dried) I shot a 300 round. Guess I'm not going to go with those QuikSpin vanes. Shot a terrible 227. As soon as the wind dies down (gusting to 25 or 30 today) I'll try another round on the patio. I'm going back to the feathers and try to get back to the 250s I was shooting in practice before the State Indoor.

Black Wolf, I am a point of aim shooter. With my wimpy bow and heavy arrows I can hold at 6 o'clock on the 40cm blue face and those slow, heavy arrows drop into the middle (sometimes).

Dave

#16 ·
I shoot a 300 round once a month or so. Started doing them in January so this was my fourth one this year. I shot an even 250 this time. It's funny but I wasn't keeping track of my score as I went, just at the end. I was shooting pretty well but had a hard time zoning it into the five ring. I kept ringing the five spot. Frustrating to me because it seems to be whats holding me back from shooting a whole lot better.

Anyone got any tricks for closing a group in tighter?

Chris

#155 ·
I shoot a 300 round once a month or so. Started doing them in January so this was my fourth one this year. I shot an even 250 this time. It's funny but I wasn't keeping track of my score as I went, just at the end. I was shooting pretty well but had a hard time zoning it into the five ring. I kept ringing the five spot. Frustrating to me because it seems to be whats holding me back from shooting a whole lot better.

Anyone got any tricks for closing a group in tighter?

Chris
nice forum name!

#21 ·
Yea , I like shootin like that. I can,t call it a 266 though because it was 2 differnt days and 2 differnt release methods (tab,glove).

I see the top dogs are up a bit from there actually so I,ve still got work to do :) Good thing its FUN work and the best part is pretty much ANYBODY with an open mind and a will to work at it can shoot that well or better

#22 ·
looks like nobody else is keepin score anymore.Actually after this weekend Im gonna get some other things done and not score very much,maybe some 3D scores.....Anywho I just shot another 150 round addin up to 129. No shooting on Thur. its payday and my day off from shootin ,probably another 150 on Fri and than the states

Thanks again to everybody thats helped me climb to the level I,m at now

#23 ·
Only shot 121 out of 150 today,I did end up shooting 3 ends yesterday 23,24,22 so my ups have been more than my downs. I,ll post the results of the NYFAB classic on another thread and won,t be scoreing to many 150 or 300 rounds for a bit while I get caught up on other things.Besides 3D season is here and hopefully I can get to more than just whats at our club.Our clubs first is next weekend 10,8,5 scoreing for a possible 300

#24 ·
After shooting between 250 and 300 arrows on Friday and Saturday I took Sunday off. Today I had a lot of stuff to do but by mid-afternoon was feeling like I missed watching the flight of an arrow. No time to drive to the range but the patio was waiting so I shot a NFAA 300 (complete with half on a lower target and half on an upper target).

If felt good to shoot again and watch those X7 2214s slowly arc to the target in the brite sunlight (low 80s today). Despite one really awful end (an 18) I almost matched my personal best of 260. Shot a 259. Oh to have those five to do over (LOL). Funny how this is so hard it's fun!

Gotta get back to field archery to get ready for the State shoot but I'm going to keep up the 300 rounds, maybe in the evening this summer. It is a great way to refine and practice good basic form...hold, release, follow through.

Dave

#26 ·
To come so close and than feel like you just pretty much blew it
To top it off, I had just shot a 24. Don't know what happened to the concentration/form but it sure went to hell on that 18 (LOL). Came back with a 22 and was mad at myself for the 18 but didn't think much more about it until I was done and added everything up. When I saw the 259 total I could have kicked my self. That's when I wanted those five shots to do over. But, once you let go of the string they're in the book (laughing at myself).

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.