Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > The Philosophical Archer

Old 09-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Pete

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,062 Posts
aroadik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What does it mean to be a traditional archer?

"Shooting medieval Frenchmen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete.
Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2015, 04:20 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,691 Posts
Jon Lewis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
"Tradition means not picking up the ashes, but passing on the flame."

~ Ricarda Huch

John

Not picking up the Ashes, is that an Australian thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Lewis For This Useful Post:
aroadik (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 03:23 AM
Pete

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,062 Posts
aroadik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroadik View Post
"Shooting medieval Frenchmen"
+ English men fleeing to Canada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete.
The Following User Says Thank You to aroadik For This Useful Post:
Jon Lewis (10-01-2015)

Old 10-01-2015, 05:50 AM

Cyrille is on a distinguished road

This is a very personal subject that has been breeched... To me there is really no set nomenclature as "traditional archery." or "compound archery," It is all archery just as doing the Australian crawl or the dog paddle is all swimming. Just a different way of doing the same thing.
The crossbow is different from either of those methods as the X-bow is held in a horizontal position but it is still considered archery. The similarity is that they all send a pointed shaft toward the intended target. And I insist that the X-bow is also "traditional" in the sense that it was in use at the same time as the long bow. The difference is that those X-bows didn't have all the "bells & whistles" on them that are available today.
As far as "sights" are concerned, well let's just say that I, personally consider them a "crutch" and that I will not use them for as long as I'm able to get along without them.
I really have nothing against those using a sight or truly the use of a sighting method I believe that every archer uses a sighting method of some kind be it gapping or instinctive the pile of the arrow or some "spot" on the target at which to launch a shaft.
To repeat, it's all archery in one form or another and it is an individual sport you choose what is best to help you hit your target.
Personally I enjoy the "romance" of the bow & arrow and it is that non-existent "fact" that keeps me doing my archery thing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyrille For This Useful Post:
aroadik (10-03-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,770 Posts
Hank D Thoreau is on a distinguished road

If you run with guys that wear colorful quick dry, athletic style clothes, probably Nike or Under Armour, then you are barebow. If you run with guys that wear a fedora and plaid, or look like they are either coming from, or going to a hunt, you are trad. If you run with guys that dress up in medieval attire then you are a LARP'er. Check out my avatar. I am definitely barebow. That's Nike, buddy.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:13 AM

Cyrille is on a distinguished road

Well I wear regular "street clothes" or what is called every day attire when shooting my bow. I used to be a "LARP" whatever that means, when active in the S.C.A. But since that time I've only worn regular clothing if there is such a category today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyrille For This Useful Post:
aroadik (10-03-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:10 PM

John in NZ is on a distinguished road

This something I had to clarify just this week.
I intend to shoot at a club competition a few hours from home next month and they only have four classes to enter.
These are Male compound, Female compound, Traditional and junior.
As soon as I saw the rules I contacted the club to make sure I could shoot my current ILF bare bow rig in their Trad class.
Turned out to be fine as trad to them just means anything with no wheels.
Just to make a point and have a laugh at the last NZFAA shoot I attended I shot the Barebow recurve class and won as I was the only one in the class due to every other recurve archer shooting in the recurve unaided class which many of them shouldn't of been in..
Some days it really does pay to know what you are,,,LOL.

John.
The Following User Says Thank You to John in NZ For This Useful Post:
aroadik (10-07-2015)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 AM

berzerk64 is on a distinguished road

Me personally, I draw the line at a single string for calling something traditional. I don't have a bias for or against sights, releases, etc., as they have been used to varying degrees and designs for quite some time.

I think a major leap forward in archery was made when pulleys were attached to limbs, and am thankful for the development. However, I don't think a bow with wheels could be called traditional. I have not yet been elected emperor of the world, so I have been unable to enforce this view!!

I see it as a spectrum, with the super short compounds with all their aids and tools and such at one end, and a simple selfbow with natural material strings and tackle at the other. It's all archery, and it's all relative.

There is a fantastic leap forward, though, in available energy when you add wheels, and that is enough, for me, to draw a distinction. It's not wrong or right or anything besides a difference. Tradeoffs, and the assignment of nomenclature to a particular part of that spectrum just helps to identify capability limits. There is a noticeable difference between an osage self bow with rawhide string shooting cane arrows with stone tips and an ILF bow with a modern string shooting the latest micro diameter carbon arrows at 200+ fps, but the difference between those setups, and a compound that is capable of over 300 fps is significant enough to warrant the separation, in my opinion. Is either lesser, or greater? Depends on the shooter. I remember seeing an old indian hit the 40 cold bore dead center, and often see compound shooters struggling to achieve the same. All in all, I enjoy shooting my longbow more than my compound, by far, but I keep the compound so I can still hunt if I haven't had time to maintain the desired level of proficiency with the longbow. Neither is better, or worse, and both are archery. Just different. As far as competition rules, I could care less. I'll shoot where they say my kit falls. I wouldn't even keep score if I didn't have to give my scorecard to someone else to mark it.

Only person I want to shoot better than is my past self. Even then, I fall short as often as not, whether it's a longbow or compound.

I do derive far more personal satisfaction from the more primitive kit than with the modern stuff, whether single string or not. Feel free to disagree. Until I become emperor. Then such transgressions will be punished severely!! As if reading my post wasn't punishment enough.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 AM

Bowlim is on a distinguished road

Currently we are at a period where a lot of the guys who defined what traditional was, created the brand, before all the late comers arrived, are either dying or at least retiring; and there is a huge influx of new equipment that isn't compound that wants to shade itself in the tent it didn't create; and there are a lot of people entering the sport who weren't born when the brand was created, or weren't interested in archery at that time. The result is the term is rapidly loosing it's original meaning. But it will live on in some form. If you look at what the US meant when it was founded, and what it stands as today, it's not the same thing, but the US carries on.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 AM

Bowlim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hatfield View Post
a lot of "trad" people I have met have sort of an romantic idea of how things were in "the old days" that never happened.
they make it a sin to have an aiming process or seeing anything but the spot they are burning a hole in. (their words, not mine).
actually in the fifties and well into the sixties you either were a bare bow or a sight aided shooter at the tournaments I shot in, mostly field and York/American rounds.
the bare bow guys and gals used all sorts of aids to help their shooting without comment by other archers. there were elevation aiming aids between the shooting line and targets that archers used at almost every tournament. ann hoyt used a paper cup a lot for that and would tell anyone off that touched it.
point is, they all wanted to hit and score all 6 arrows of each end, fixed sight or not. now, somewhere close seems to be the goal for a lot of trad purists.
Traditional archery has nothing to do with formal target shooting. It's like what Hank said, it is a style of hunting with a bow. When Schaffer or Wensel made their defensive shots on Lions, they didn't have time for Ann Hoyt's paper cup. But it is on it's way out and is now just a marketing term. Like Muzzle loading used to mean old looking/functioning rifles and buckskins, but is now just a means of selling the largest number of people rifles they don't need to shoot in seasons that they want a chance to score in.

Back in the 60s, that was the period I believe when the US Army tried to improve scores in Vietnam, with their Quick Kill/Skill method of point/instinctive shooting of rifles. Didn't pan out I guess, and modern optics are almost the best of both worlds, but it might indicate that back in the day the whole question of how best to address targets wasn't quite as settled on aiming as you suggest. Not to mention the FBI, Bill Jordan, or the Israelis.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:19 AM
塞迦

Scyth is on a distinguished road

This from the 50's . . . never again, more's the pity . . .

(Considered one of the most iconic bowhunting photos ever. Fred bear and bob Kelly using the suspension bridge to cross the little delta river Alaska 1959.)

Regards,

John

~ John Keats

“The Edge: “There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know it are the ones who have gone over.”

~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,570 Posts
Larry Hatfield has disabled reputation

Traditional archery has every thing to do with target archery! Every archer I knew in the fifties and early sixties shot field every week and York or American tournaments when there was a contest nearby, and ALL of them were successful hunters. The big change in attitude came with the flood of former compound archers that turned to recurves and longbows in the 70's that had no touch with any of the history of Archery or knowledge of what Archers really did in the early days. They started a whole different set of expectations based on misunderstandings of films and books written by new "hero's" and embraced lowering the bar for the need to shoot a bow well, under the false idea that a bow is a "short range" weapon with a 20 yard range. It's been stuck there on the internet since then.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Larry Hatfield For This Useful Post:
aroadik (02-18-2017), Bamerabi (02-17-2017), Captainkirk (02-21-2017), Grantmac (02-18-2017), Grizzly (02-20-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM

Bamerabi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlim View Post
Traditional archery has nothing to do with formal target shooting. It's like what Hank said, it is a style of hunting with a bow. When Schaffer or Wensel made their defensive shots on Lions, they didn't have time for Ann Hoyt's paper cup. But it is on it's way out and is now just a marketing term. Like Muzzle loading used to mean old looking/functioning rifles and buckskins, but is now just a means of selling the largest number of people rifles they don't need to shoot in seasons that they want a chance to score in.

Back in the 60s, that was the period I believe when the US Army tried to improve scores in Vietnam, with their Quick Kill/Skill method of point/instinctive shooting of rifles. Didn't pan out I guess, and modern optics are almost the best of both worlds, but it might indicate that back in the day the whole question of how best to address targets wasn't quite as settled on aiming as you suggest. Not to mention the FBI, Bill Jordan, or the Israelis.
You are projecting your perspective a general term.

There is definitely a an archer culture that calls itself "traditional" and fits your description. And thats cool.
But that culture isnt the only one that existed before compounds. There were both more primitive and more sophisticated traditions in archery - then they all took a back seat to compounds.

There is/was a groups of Hill style bow shooters who would have been happy to limit the term to their bows.

I remember a bowyer once writing to "Trad Archer" and complaining that trad archery should be defined by fiberglass bows- which just happened to be what he made.

Some of the revered figures in trad archery - used more tech than the many of the current crew are comfortable with. Bear used various rests and sometimes used sights.
Shaffer and Wensel used plastic rests.

Personally I think that "trad culture" exists as it does mostly because of one guy writing books who picked and choosed what he preferred from history.
Not that theres anything wrong with that.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:05 PM

moog5050 is on a distinguished road

I know I am shooting traditional because I miss the bullseye -- ALOT.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Grizzly is on a distinguished road

I know I am cause I've got one of those "hooks" that Ace sells glued to an old arrow shaft for finding arrows under the grass; not that I ever need it.
I shoot with guys who have really expensive back quivers.
http://www.acearcherytackle.com/tools.php

http://tradtalk.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1487613468

If you can't remember where you left your shoes and socks, a shooting system may not work......

Last edited by Grizzly; 03-02-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Tags
archer, questions, trad or barebow, traditional

Search tags for this page

what it means to be a traditional archer

Click on a term to search for related topics.