Trad Talk Forums banner

Samick Sage

Tags
sage samick
10K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  StevenB 
#1 ·
$140 ya can't get any more bow for your money. Mine has plunger boss, sight bosses and stab boss. I put a NAP flipper on mine and a limbsaver stab. Put string jacks on the string. 35#@28" (plus a set of 50#@28" limbs).

Bow makes a excellent squirrel and rabbit bow. It is the bow I take in my kayak on the river. I actually won the bow at the Cowtown Bowman shoot two years ago. It came with 50# limbs. I ordered 35# limbs for it.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I will give a thumbs up too.

This is my entry level bow. I actually bought it as a 55# OMP Smokey Mountain Hunter, but it is the same exact riser as the Sage. I bought Samick Sage 35# limbs for it too. It's just a solid all around good bow. It's not as fast as some of the more expensive models, but plenty fast enough and very consistent from shot to shot.

With the latest fast flight strings, this bow really comes alive. So, that's the best recommendation I can make for anyone starting out with one. - replace the string.

The other cool thing (as just mentioned) is that this comes with the plunger hole and site mounting holes already put in. I don't use a sight myself, but it's nice that the option is there and I use those holes for a bow mounted quiver. Also, the mounting screw for weights is already there (can be used for a fishing reel too).

The other amazing thing is you can buy the riser and every available poundage limbs for less money than some of those more expensive bows.

Of course, if you stick with archery, you will eventually upgrade to better bows. Why? Because we all enjoy paying double, triple, quadruple or even ten times more money for incremental improvements in performance. :) hahaha, - that's just how we are, and at some point you deserve a reward for all your hard work and dedication. But, that Sage can still always be a good practice bow, backup bow, lending bow, fishing bow, wall decoration, travel bow, slump-curing bow and all those things wrapped up into one inexpensive package that lasts a lifetime.

The only drawback is you will feel like you are in a Twilight Zone episode once you are shooting such an effective "riser" and "limb set" that each individually cost less than a set of a dozen modern arrows.

#6 ·
Good post Rusty. I bought one a little while ago with after my shoulder went out. Got 25 lb. Limbs with it and it shoots great. It just hung on the wall next to my other armada of longbows and recurves because I couldn't even pull back the 25pounders. My PT has improved my shoulder and I can now shoot about 12-25 arrows at a time without too much pain. For a cheap little bow this thing is smooth, quiet, and well balanced even without a stabilizer. I highly recommend it.

#7 ·
And now a question for you all the way from The Netherlands:

What other bow would you guys recommend? I seriously would like to know because I am on the hunt for a new bow, and this is one of the few bows I can not find in stores here.

Thanks a bunch already for your reactions.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum, Eagle 13. What are your interests in archery? Once we know that I'm sure you'll have lots of suggestions.

#10 ·
Sorry for leaving this info out, so here it comes:

I am interested in 3D archery, and I found out my 70" Greenhorn is a bit to long for those walks in the woods.

The new bow I am looking for is a hunting recurve, between 60" and 64". My preference is a metal riser, but since my budget is around 200-250 Euro for a bow the Hoyt series are a little much.

Further more I really prefer a take-down model because of the transportation ease. And as a quiver I am also interested in a bow mounted quiver, but there is little to no experience here on that matter.

I hope this is enough info. If an more is required, just let me know.

p.s. Just about the Samick, I can get almost all bows from this brand except the Sage.

#11 ·
Eagle 13, what's your draw length as it will influence choice of limb length and therefore riser length?

#16 ·
Eagle 13 take a look at a 21inch Hoyt Excel riser and an inexpensive set of limbs like Samick Privledge or SF Axiom plus. For a short metal riser that is about as cheap as you will find. The Cartel Fantom is a very good inexpensive riser but at 25 inches will be a little long.
You can always look in the classifieds for something used or even better get a WARF.

#17 ·
I believe you will find the best 3D shooters are using bows of 68-72". At least at the highest levels of competition in North America and Europe.

The same rig is frequently used for Field, Indoor and 3D.

-Grant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.