Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 AM

Nala is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone Own or Shoot the Win Black Wolf Recurve?

Hey all,

I saw this bow on the Lancaster site. I also watched a couple videos. It looks to be a really nice setup. All the info I've seen and read about it is positive. It's not a lot of info though.
I'd like to get some reports from you guys if anyone here has owned one.

I've got a Morrison Aluminum 17 inch and I am thinking I might need to change. Nothing at all wrong with the riser or bow. You know how you get when you just feel like you want to change for a different bow. I'd have to sell or trade mine before I got one though.

One more thing, I have heard that WIN made a similar riser last year and it was NOT the Black Wolf. I think it too was an all carbon bow, but I have never seen it.

If you know the name of that bow, please post it. Any info I can get will be helpful. Heck, if they made the same riser last year, I wouldn't mind getting one of those and saving some money. You know what I mean?

SO...any help you can share about this riser/bow would be great. I appreciated you taking time to help. Have a great weekend.
Larry
Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2017, 06:02 AM

Juspassin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone Own or Shoot the Win Black Wolf Recurve?

I just got one used a few weeks back. Very nice solid riser. I mounted a pair of Dryad recurve limbs on it and am still tweaking it. I think the riser feels great.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:43 AM
Closet lurker

Andrewlaw22 is on a distinguished road

I had the 62" W&W RCX 17 which was rebranded to the 'wolf' pretty much the same. Nice shooting bow- light in the hand (if you like that).

there's a pretty good review here https://archers-review.com/bow-revie...nch/index.html

which is pretty much my opinion as well...

Sf forged plus border hex6w 50lb otf
Border harrier 70" 60lb otf

Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 AM

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,853 Posts
stevelong is on a distinguished road

NALA, yeh SOME OF US understand how we get sometimes, just wanting a different bow......haha
I've done it so much, now when I read the ads, I see stuff - get interested - and say "wait a minute, I've had one of those".......starting to be content with my stuff.
good luck with switching things up.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:07 AM

schlaggerman is on a distinguished road

I own a Black Wolf and it is a very nice shooting bow. Tuned very easily and shoots lasers beams for arrow flight. Very good velocity I might ad but that might be attributable to my first negative point. I have only two negatives, which may not be negatives for you. I ordered 50lb. medium limbs and they are the stiffest pulling 50lb. limbs I've ever owned. I suspect they actually weigh in at 52lbs. And my second point is the grip, too skinny for a man's sized hand. I put a rubber Shur-Grip on it with a layer of leather underneath the rubber to get it to where I like it. A nice addition to this bow would be if it had quiver bushings installed, it has no bushings other than stabilizer bushing.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Daniel L is on a distinguished road

Yes it was previously sold was the W&W RCX-17 (the RCX-100 was the 25" Olympic riser with matching RCX-100 limbs.)

It's also sold as the TradTech Lobo.

Now the real question: is it any good? I've owned it and I will say it's a darn good looking bow that shoots with a nice dead sensation. The reason I sold it was because I didn't like the sharp corners on the front of the grip, and the grip itself which didn't suit my hand and there are no other grips available. It was really hard to get hold of a spare grip to experiment with at the time. (Spare grips are now available from Lancaster.)

The Morrison series has the Jager 2.0 grips and a few other standard TradTech Titan grips that fit.

They do come up for sale for around $350-$400.

FYI the riser is made in China. That's not a bad thing as it's made to high specifications by W&W, but just don't expect a made in Korea riser.

It's hard to say if you'll enjoy it more than the Morrison. I don't have the specs but I'd say it's heavier mass that the Morrison.

Now if they made a 19" carbon version... I'd be very interested
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM

GCB is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone Own or Shoot the Win Black Wolf Recurve?

I had the W&W RCX-17 and while the grip wasn't optimal compared to the other Jager grips I was shooting at the time, I did get used to it in time and stopped even thinking about it.
The bow was a very good shooter for its short length, the riser is nice and light with very little if any vibe on the shot, much better in that department then the aluminum hunting risers.

The Black Wolf was a marketing name change and Lancaster Archery also offers it as the Lobo under the TradTech branding.
It's a really great handling, looking riser and I only got rid of it for the same reason you are looking for one.
I think W&W could have greatly improved it's sales by offering more grip choices and making it in 19" & 21".
My only true complaint would be that the back of the riser in front of the grip is made with just a bit of an edge that bites the hand a little if you wrap your fingers over the edge. This is easily remedied with a LimbSaver stick on rubber grip strip as you can see on my riser in the picture.
It's a quality bit of kit and certainly worth trying out.

Or at half the price, just trim to size.
Bow Jax Gel Grip Strips
Self-adhesive strips will not fall off in any weather condition.Can be used on the sides of grip, or front and back, to insulate hands from the cold.
$5.17
Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 PM

Tom M is on a distinguished road

I have looked at this riser as well. There's a lady in our "group" that has one. I like it's lightness. Would be nice for those all day 3D shoots where you spend hours waiting to shoot.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 PM

UKbow is on a distinguished road

I've an RCX17. In my opinion the riser is first rate but the limbs do not do the riser justice. I'd trade the limbs up to a better set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UKbow For This Useful Post:
ckossuth (05-25-2017), John from New Zealand (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:22 PM

John from New Zealand is on a distinguished road

I currently own the RCX100, which as far as I can see is just a 25" version of the RCX17 or Black wolf.
I've been away from hunting for a few years now but intend to return to the hill very soon.
Come that day I also intend to be carrying a Black wolf with Uukha limbs.

Oh yeah,
John.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 PM

Festivus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlaggerman View Post
I own a Black Wolf and it is a very nice shooting bow. Tuned very easily and shoots lasers beams for arrow flight. Very good velocity I might ad but that might be attributable to my first negative point. I have only two negatives, which may not be negatives for you. I ordered 50lb. medium limbs and they are the stiffest pulling 50lb. limbs I've ever owned. I suspect they actually weigh in at 52lbs. And my second point is the grip, too skinny for a man's sized hand. I put a rubber Shur-Grip on it with a layer of leather underneath the rubber to get it to where I like it. A nice addition to this bow would be if it had quiver bushings installed, it has no bushings other than stabilizer bushing.
Can you get your hands on a bow scale? Also see if you are bottomed out with the preload. I think WW measures there stuff in the middle. Samick, Kaya measure theres at minimum preload so you get at least what is marked and more but can't go lower. I have one but haven't shot it with the 50 lbs limbs that came with it yet. I doubt WW would make a harsh pulling limb. I do agree that it is kinda frustrating, for me at least, to have a non wood ILF bow without quiver/sight bushings. Same problem with the 17" Satori and for a metal riser that is very frustrating, and the reason why I didn't get one. Also, the paint on the stab bushing and plunger bushing are not durable and easily flakes off, not a huge deal but something I noticed.

I like it overall but wish it had more grip/side plate options and was a little heavier, some people like the light weight but I just add a small counter weight or hunting stab and it is good to go. Mine isn't going anywhere as not only is it nice and dead in the hand and points well it is made off of center by a good margin and is literally only one of the precious few risers that my much coveted and best arrow rest ever made NAP PlungerRest can work on. The others being either the Bernardini Mamba or Cobra, and maybe the Hoyt Satori but I don't know how far off center they are machined.

For the grip I'm going to butcher the grip and take off the medallion and sand it down a ton or just cut the back of the grip off and make my version of side plates. Worst case scenario is take the grip off and add some rubber things shown above and wrap it in a leather tennis racket grip.

Last edited by Festivus; 05-19-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:50 AM

Juspassin is on a distinguished road

Interesting comments by some. The light weight was one of the key reasons why I bought it.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:19 AM

fwood is on a distinguished road

I got one of the Black Wolf bows about 9 months ago. I don't care for the standard grip that came with the bow and Jager is now making a grip for it which I like much better. I like the weight of the riser and its dead in the hand on the shot. I've shot it some with a counter weight but like it better without. I would really like it if WW offered it in a 19 or 21" model. I shoot 30.5" DL but don't find shooting this riser in a 60" or 62" configuration to be a problem (three under). I've thought of getting the RCX 100 but haven't seen one in person so I'm waiting till I do and can handle one.
I've put Hex 5 limbs on this riser and really like how that shoots also.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:54 PM

schlaggerman is on a distinguished road

I put my Black Wolf limbs on a scale and they weighed in at 54lbs. at 28". I don't believe I am bottomed out as I have the limb bolts turned down 2.5 turns from where I received the bow. Like I said in my earlier post my set of limbs may be a pound or two over the 50lb, marked weight.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Nala is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guys....

That Black Wolf bow really looks nice and from what I've read and saw, it seems to shoot really well too.

I have been thinking about either Selling my Morrison 17" rig and putting the money towards this outfit or trading into one, but that would be more difficult as I'd have to find one in my weight range of 45 pounds or so AND hope that the owner wanted to trade with me.
I'd most likely just look to sell mine.

I have also thought about other recurve outfits. I like the new Hoyt risers in 17" too. Then of course is the bow that I have wanted for a long time off and on, the Bear Takedown in an "A" with the limb combo that gives about a 58-60" bow at 45 pounds.

So many nice bows and so little "FUN MONEY" on hand to play with.

I'll keep on nosing for other suitable replacements, or I could just keep this Morrison setup. My main problem with it is that I can't seem to get it quiet. I've checked all over it for loose fittings and such and can't find anything out of whack. When I loose an arrow I swear it sounds about like a bucket of bolts. Of course the heavier the arrow, the less it makes noise, but shooting 7.5gr carbon arrows shouldn't make it as noisy as it is.

I need to play with the brace height as well as nock placement and see what that yields. If I could get this rig quiet, I'd be tickled to death with it.

Oh well, I guess this is what makes TRAD Archery fun....huh guys and gals?

Thank you all for your advice.

If you want to comment on the new HOYT risers in 17", I'd like to hear about those too.

Have a great week.
Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to Nala For This Useful Post:
Rick Harrelson (05-22-2017)

Tags
black, recurve, shoot, win, wolf