Trad Talk Forums banner

Help Diagnose a Problem on my TD Bow Please....

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Jinkster 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have a small concern that I'd like to ask you all about and get your ideas.

I just got this Morrison 17 inch riser from a member here. It's an awesome riser, nearly band new, at least it looks like it is.
I am using a set of short, KAP Challenger Carbon limbs in it. I've had them for several years.

I haven't shot the bow yet. I just got a string for it the other day and I let it sit last night strung up to stretch the string out a bit.

OK, something just isn't making sense to me. After letting the string stretch for 24 hours or so, I picked it up and started fooling around with it, little stuff like adding my rest, wiping things down, cleaning and so forth. I draw the string back to test the draw weight and slowly let it back down. I then look at the bottom limb and notice the string is resting on the RIGHT side of the string groove. Not a lot, maybe 1/8th inch. Thinking maybe I have something adjusted wrong, I take the bow back down and look at all the adjustment bolts and they are straight on. I string it back up and do another test draw and let off and the string does the same thing. This is starting to aggravate me. I took it back down again to check limbs and see if somehow one of them got warped or was not straight. I held them side by side and looked over them as best I could and they were exactly the same. There wasn't any noticeable difference. I string them back up and repeat the slwo draw. Same result.
This time I decide to swap limbs and put the ones I always run on the bottom, on the top to see what happens. Well when I do the draw this time, the problem follows the limb and now it is to the right on the TOP LIMB. So it's something with that one limb. I can't see a bend or anything in it.

I even swapped the string around to see if maybe that was having a difference. NOPE! Same result.

This is about to drive me crazy.

I'm now wondering if it is something in the string groove where the loops sit that might be a bit different. It wouldn't take much to make a difference this small.

Mind you, I haven't shot it yet, but I am just about ready to head outside at 11pm with a flashlight and see what happens.

Do you all have any suggestions on this? What could it be?

I seriously don't want to have to shim this limb. If that happens, I can tell you what the first thing on the "present to myself" list is going to be soon.....

Thanks for any help and advice.

Nalajr

See less See more
#3 ·
Letting down is not like shooting, my guess is you torque the bow a bit while letting down. Try plucking the string a few inches, if it doesnt straighten out it may be the limb. You can sometimes just fix a minor twist like that by conter twisting the limb.

#4 ·
Doesn't the Morrison have LLA?
If your limb turns out to be slightly twisted, tweak the LLA a bit to get the string in line.

No need for the limbs to be perfectly straight when you have LLA, just ask some of the folks here.
Sorry, that last bit was tongue in cheek.

Does sound like limb twist.
As Ren mentioned already, try them on another riser and if possible try another set on the Morrison for peace of mind.

Best of luck.

#5 ·
I don't have another riser. This is my only TD riser.

I looked closely at the limbs, side by side last night and I couldn't see a single problem in either one. They both looked as they did when I unboxed them. I don't see how either one of them could've gotten a twist, even a slight one.

I dug out a couple other strings to see if that makes any difference. I'm going to find out what is going on today for sure.
Last night I put on one of those other strings, one that doesn't have the big knots, and it went back into the groove just fine. So, I don't know what is going on here.

I'm going to put a nock set on it and go out and actually shoot it and see what happens then.

I'll report back.

Does LLA mean LATERAL LIMB ADJUSTMENT? Those are the 2 small screens on each side of the limb pocket, right?

Thanks all

Nalajr

#6 ·
I had the same issue with my Excel riser and TT limbs. I had good feedback from folks here. The suggestion about reversing limbs worked. But now have a new "skinny string" with padded loops. Issue went away. I layed my limbs on granite table top and could see no daylight between limb and table top. My other set of limbs is on loan so I have none to compare. I also think it has something to do with drawing and letting down as when shot the string tracked to grooves.

#7 ·
This time I decide to swap limbs and put the ones I always run on the bottom, on the top to see what happens. Well when I do the draw this time, the problem follows the limb and now it is to the right on the TOP LIMB.
Nalajr
If the problem follows the limb, the problem is in the limb. Call Mr. Morrison and have him walk you through how to adjust the LLA. On most risers, it's usually just a matter of loosening one side and tightening the other...slightly.

#8 ·
IF the alignment issue followed the limb, its not the riser. Get a set of beiter limb gauges, or put some tape on your limbs and mark the center and align them.

#11 ·
I checked the hash marks on the limb pockets to make sure they were set at STRAIGHT and they were.

I'm convinced it is the limbs, NOT the riser.

I just took the limbs off and put them on a granite table to look at them. I could see no twist or even slight difference in the 2. They are both mirror images of each other.

Here's what's confusing me. I got out every string I had in my box and took the ones that fit this bow and tried them. Every string I tried that had the serving wrapped loops, the problem with it coming to rest outside the limb groove, was worse. When I switched to a string that was just twisted and no serving material except in the center, the string was much, much better. STRANGE.

I even looked at the nocks on the limbs and took a small rat tail file and cleaned them up from all the gunk that had nestled in there over the years. No difference.

Here in a bit I am going to shoot it with both strings and see what happens.

About the strings....I'm guessing that the strings that are twisted are Flemish Loop strings....would that be right?
The other strings that have the serving on the loops, those are made of higher performing material. Is that right?

Now, can you get the high performing material that is twisted like I am describing or is that only for the lower performing materials?

Thanks all.

Will update later after I shoot.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Every 15 minutes of this is pushing me closer and closer to get a new, or at least a decent set of USED limbs.

Nalajr

#12 ·
Nala,

Just like attack mentioned earlier, when you let down instead of shooting an arrow the string may come out of the track due to torque, go shoot some arrows and then see if it is still staying out of the track before you go adjusting for a problem that may not exist.

Don

#13 · (Edited)
Hang the bow by the string across two arrows across two chairs and look straight down the limb tips and string. look for limb tips to be off center to the limb face itself.

Also, hold the limb at the base near the riser and 1/4 up the string draw that limb back and watch to see if it tracks back into the groove.
Dan

#14 ·
Hey all,

Well I am pretty embarrassed that I asked this question. I should've went out and shot it first and then asked. But I was going on the belief that it would be the same.

I went out and shot about 8 arrows with 2 different strings and both strings came to rest exactly where they should, in the string groove. I would've bet anything that it wouldn't have been right. Glad it is though.

Now that false alarm is over, I have to get to the business of quieting this thing down which right now sounds like a coffee can full of chain links.

I'll be playing around with it this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I used your info and checked it every which way and it turns out everything is fine.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Nalajr

#16 ·
Now that false alarm is over, I have to get to the business of quieting this thing down which right now sounds like a coffee can full of chain links.
Hi Nala...I may be able to help you out here on getting things a little quieter and the first thing one needs to do is...

1. Get the bow into a proper state of tune...if possible?...I like to get most of the tuning done and the bow shooting as quietly as possible BEFORE taking any silencing measures...this way I get to hear what's going on with the bow as I tune...and once rough tuned too quiet?...then add any silencing materials and do a final tune from there.

another thing I like to do on ILF's if possible?...is...

2. Remove the springs & detent pins from the limbs ILF fittings like so...

doing so pretty much eliminates any at-the-shot metallic buzzing that may occur with loose fitting detent pins or when ILF limb bolts are backed off.

3. I've also had very positive experiences with the addition of "Broadband Limbsavers"....they seem to damp and gobble up any and all unwanted limb vibes.

I've found that I was easily able to make my new 21" XD Morrison riser with Sky TR7 Double Carbon/Bamboo Core limbs extremely quiet and it now actually rivals my old Super Kodiak in the decibels department...and both are/were...64"/35# bows.

Hope that helps and L8R, Bill. ;)

#17 ·
That is a quiet bow for sure.

Thanks for the tips.

Those Limbsavers...are those the ones made specifically for the Recurve limbs or are you using the one made for the compound solid limbs?

I also notice you have yours in a different place, close to the top of the riser. I have a set of limbsavers on my limbs now, but they are the OLD kind and have been on there for probably 8 years or so. They don't do much good at all. In fact I'll probably just take them off tomorrow.

When I was in Bass Pro last week I was looking at all the different silencer stuff and thinking about trying some of the new stuff, but I didn't buy anything. Right now all I am for sure going to use are rubber whiskers.

I do want to know more about those Limbsavers.

Nalajr

#19 ·
Off the rack at Bass Pro...nothing about them claiming recurve specific and depicted as being for compounds on the package...though I don't think it matters much and feel the compound ones may actually be more effective as they are typically larger in size but not by much.

As for "placement"?...I've always been advised that for the best results on recurves? ...to position them right at the limb fades or just above and not only does that make perfect sense to me but I've also been pleased with the results of placing them there...you want to cancel out the limb vibes before they get into the limb bases and riser but you don't want to impede limb performance by biasing weight towards the limb tips.

Hope that helps and L8R Bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.