Trad Talk Forums banner

Made a simple bow rack - cheap and easy!

19K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Martin Farrent 
#1 ·
We started with a length of oak, 4' by 3" or 4". (Just used what we had laying around). On stand-by was some 1/2" oak dowel.

We then marked a center-line down the board, marked the center of the board, lengthwise, on the line, and then marked points along the line every 4", working out towards opposite ends - from the center.

Then we got out the old central machinery drill press I just picked up used and gave the press it's first workout.

That gave us a nice row of holes in the board...

See less See more
#2 ·
Then we chopped the dowels into 3 and 1/2" lengths. This allowed 1/2" in the hole w/ 3" protruding.

I clamped the quick-clamp onto the chop-saw as a stop, but ended up moving it to the left, as the clamp placement in the picture interfered with the saws operation.

With a stop clamped on, I didn't have to measure the dowel and account for waste and all.

Safety was first, of course. I held the wood while my 8 year old operated the saw.

When we finished I drilled all the way through at the end holes and the center hole, so I could use 3 drywall "grabber" screws to mount the contraption. We started out with putting fancy oak buttons every other hole...

In the end, I needed every hole to hold a bow...

The dowels fit a bit loosely, but I wrapped the ends with 1 and 1/2 turns of blue paint masking tape and that snugged them right up.

#4 ·
Nice work Mike!
I made one like you do, smaller because I have less bows than you.LOL
How many bow can you shoot?
Martin

#7 ·
I used a spade bit to make the 1/2" holes. Then I drilled out the top bottom and middle pilot holes (behind the pegs) so a drywall screw would "drop through", stopping at the head. I then simply mounted each board to the drywall with 3 coarse-head screws ("grabbers").

I set the screws by hand, cause they are easy to strip in the drywall. I set the top screw on the first board then used a 4' level to make it plumb. then I "locked it down" with the other 2 screws.

Next I "mounted" the level on the bottom pegs as I held the second board against the wall and marked the bottom of the board with a pencil line, to get the horizontal alignment even, and set the top screw on the 2d board. Then I "plumbed" the second board with the level in the upright position.

Finally, I replaced the dowels over the screws.

#10 ·
The best thing about possessions, even those like bows that have a utility of their own, is the connection to people. Here you have archers represented by their crafts, and you have you and your son who are also represented by your participation in the creation of the display. Building men, as Rod says, and building memorable relationships - couldn't be more constructive than that.

#11 ·
Esquire said:
I can only shoot one. But I have some sentimental value bows up there that I can't let go of.
I run away from sentiments like that as fast as I can, Mike.

But then, I've been a compulsive collector (tobacco pipes) and it cost me many thousands. So like a former junkie who even stays away from codeine, I sell my stuff as soon as it is succeeded by something new. Any hint of collecting and all my alarm bells sound at once.

But it means that I don't have much to display. :(

Best,

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.