Site Sponsors
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Chapel - Christian Fellowship Forum

Old 02-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Captainkirk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Law

So well put, Doug!
Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2017, 09:43 AM

Dana C is on a distinguished road

The Original Post - " If God knew that His people were totally unable to keep the commandments, why did He present the Law with an insistance of their obedience to adhere to it?"

I disagree with the premise. 'Free will' means that we can 'keep the commandments.' That many choose to, and many others choose not to, proves that we have free will.

Criminals have a saying - "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." If you believe that punishment will follow crime, (or sin!) and you fear the punishment, you have a choice to make.

Time will not only tell, but instruct.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:24 PM

Grizzly is on a distinguished road

Doug's original 1st post: If God knew that His people were totally unable to keep the commandments, why did He present the Law with an insistance of their obedience to adhere to it?

Quote:
But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. Romans 7:8-11
Quote:
The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God. Romans 8:7-8
Doug

Dana, I think this verse that Doug gave makes it clear that we "are" incapable of keeping God's law so long as we live as almost all do with our mind governed by the flesh.

God's law can only be kept when we are governed by His Spirit. That is not possible until this happens:

◄ John 3 ►
New Living Translation
There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. “Rabbi,” he said, “we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you.”

Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.”

“What do you mean?” exclaimed Nicodemus. “How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?”

Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”

“How are these things possible?” Nicodemus asked.

Jesus replied, “You are a respected Jewish teacher, and yet you don’t understand these things? I assure you, we tell you what we know and have seen, and yet you won’t believe our testimony. But if you don’t believe me when I tell you about earthly things, how can you possibly believe if I tell you about heavenly things? No one has ever gone to heaven and returned. But the Son of Man has come down from heaven. And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life.

“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.

“There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son. And the judgment is based on this fact: God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.”

If you can't remember where you left your shoes and socks, a shooting system may not work......

Last edited by Grizzly; 02-18-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 PM

“There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son. And the judgment is based on this fact: God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.”

How many reading that verse would believe that they do evil and hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed? They are reading the Bible. They probably go to Church. How could they be the ones Jesus is addressing? They believe they love Jesus, so how could they be accused of avoiding and hating Jesus for fear their sins would be exposed?

I believe this is what much of the Church is doing. Everyone knows, loves and identifies with John 3:16 but how many of those folks can quote the above verse from John 3:18-21?

Again we come to that word "Believe". We all like to think we believe. We may understand. We may be fluent with verses and commentaries, but like Nicodemus, have we been born of the Spirit so that we might come to know "this belief" that Jesus speaks of here? It is a different "belief" than what many think it is.

We may believe (know) that healthy food, exercise and handling stress properly will keep us healthy, but if we are not led to act on what we have heard, those words will just fade from our memory until we get sick and someone in a white coat helps us to remember.

So it is with hearing God's Word. If it does not move us to act, we may never know this new life and His new Spirit. We will never be able to obey or please God.

I should let Doug finish the next part. He loves to talk of God's Grace and how He will help us to be able to obey.

If you can't remember where you left your shoes and socks, a shooting system may not work......
Old 02-18-2017, 04:32 PM

dougedwards is on a distinguished road

Men certainly have a will to choose but according to Scripture and supported by my own life experience a man is not free to choose freely. This is because of the innate nature of man as Grizzly has supplied ample scriptural evidence of this.

A bird with a broken wing is free to fly. But until the wing is mended it will never fly.

Doug
Old 02-18-2017, 04:58 PM

Search the Bible from Genesis to Revelation and find the term "free will". I can't find it. But you hear that term bantered around by Christians as if it were the Nicean Creed.

Here is an anecdotal example. It is a well known fact that people get old. That is, if they live long enough to get old. It is also a fact that old people cannot function as well as younger people and will one day be forced to retire. Twenty year old people know this. Forty year old people know this.

Why is the median amount of personal savings at retirement only $5,000?? Did the individual intend to be financially destitute when he would require the most support?
No, the will power to systematically save just a little bit over a long period was thwarted by temptation to spend NOW!

A man is free to choose but not to choose freely. The old man sits in his home wondering what happened. Why didn't he save for such a critical period of his life?

There are thousands of practical examples of how people "freely" choose in a most irrational way but none more than those highlighted in Scripture.

"
Quote:
the carnal mind is at enmity with God and not even subject to the law of God because IT CANNOT BE. So, those who operate according to the flesh CANNOT please God".
That is because:

Quote:
"The heart is deceitful above all things and so desperately wicked that it is beyond cure"
Old 02-18-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Criminals have a saying - "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." If you believe that punishment will follow crime, (or sin!) and you fear the punishment, you have a choice to make.
Who has not committed a civil crime? There are those who have gotten caught at breaking laws and those that have not. But in your heart of hearts do you really suspect that there is someone who hasn't committed one infraction? Exaggerated on their tax returns or taken a small box of paper clips from work?

The problem with our sinfulness is that we can't hide it from God. All we have to do to attain a righteous standing with God is to love God with all of our heart and also love our neighbor as ourselves. But we CANNOT do it. We are, by our very nature, children of wrath!

This fact is not very flattering of me. I don't like hearing it but deep in my soul I know that it is true.

Don't worry Dana, most Christians don't really believe it either. I have had them openly refute me in Bible study when I bring up the second chapter of Ephesians. It makes them mad because they believe that they deserve some measure of credit for making "good" (righteous) choices while others have not.

The other obvious fact is that if there are some who have "freely" chosen to succesfully live a righteous and holy life, then Christ did not die for all but only for those who needed help. This notion flies in the face of all New Testament proclamation that God delivered His only begotten Son to perdition because God so loved the world, or that all have sinned and fallen short.

Yes, a man is free to choose. He is not free to choose freely. The whole history of human activity is evidence of it.

Doug
Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote from Dana: The Original Post - " If God knew that His people were totally unable to keep the commandments, why did He present the Law with an insistance of their obedience to adhere to it?"

I disagree with the premise. 'Free will' means that we can 'keep the commandments.' That many choose to, and many others choose not to, proves that we have free will.

Your question, and one that we may have all asked at one time or another:
"If God knew that His people were totally unable to keep the commandments, why did He present the Law with an insistence of their obedience to adhere to it?"

The short answer to your question is that the law was given to show man that he was living in violation of the law. This was then supposed to show man that he was incapable of obeying the law so that he would call upon God in repentance for help.

The help is to be the promised Messiah, Jesus.

But, man being the self-sufficient, self-indulgent, self-motivated and self-fulfilled creature that he has become, does not look to God for help, but instead thinks that through his own will power that he can overcome any problem and do it on his own. It has been this way for a very long time. So self righteous were His children that they began to write their own laws, adding hundreds and built a religion based upon obeying them----and making others obey them----whether anyone could or not. Their were plenty of penalties.

But was this God's plan? No. Conviction, Humility, Repentance, Forgiveness, and Justification, an imputed Righteousness that comes to us through the Savior, by grace through faith changes everything.

God's grace defies the logical thinking we all like. As we begin to witness His power in our lives we give up many old ways and structured philosophies of life that we have come to know. Now His Spirit within begins to make clear the mysteries of His Kingdom that are hidden from men who have not been born of His Spirit.

Once Born of His Spirit many of the old ways we lived fall away. Some, most, don't right away and a life long process begins of being led by the Holy Spirit (not the flesh as was shown in the first post). The Holy Spirit then guides us through life, correcting, enlightening and helping us to become more like Christ. The Church can be a big help if they too have already walked in the Spirit, following the way of Jesus so that they might help teach the new infant in Christ to walk.

If the Church has NOT, then it may do more harm than good.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:37 AM

The most wonderful story of all time is even though God is much more aware of our own depravity than we are, He loves us beyond any human comprehension.

Quote:
"For He who did not spare His own Son but delivered Him up for us all, how much more will He freely give us with Christ?"
Doug
Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 AM

I have appreciated many of Dana's respectful comments here in that they are offered honestly and openly and usually express exactly what others might be thinking but fail to express themselves.

The fact that individuals are actually capable of making willful choices is the very cornerstone of social justice. If anyone is empowered to make the choice to obey or disobey, that same capability renders that person responsible for such choices. Our social system holds each individual responsible and may respond with correctional actions if necessary. We all have accepted this order of things (to some extent).

Sometimes our justice system recognizes the coersion of outsiders upon the one committing the infraction and will even offer immunity from prosecution to the accused in lieu of providing some incriminating evidence upon the perpetrator of the coersion. Thus, we as members of a society recognize both the individual responsibility of making the choice to obey or disobey and the element of outside influence upon those "freely" made choices.

But the wisdom of God reveals that the will of all men is in slavery to sinfulness Romans 6:20-23.

The coersion as applied upon mankind is of physical, mental and spiritual influence with three main sources, namely the flesh, the world and the Prince of the power of the air. Yet, we are unable to cry "The Devil made me do it!".

This makes understanding and thus accepting the doctrine of total depravity of man problematic in that it renders condemnation (guilty verdict) upon the one who commits the infraction while admitting that he will and can do no other.

This is the basis of the question that I was asking. It is certainly not a simple question and simple responses don't seem to suffice but this premise (which Dana makes proclamation of non-acceptance) is what sets the Christian faith apart from all world religions. Man, because of human predisposition, is hopelessly condemned to perdition based on his own willful refusal to
honor God with his love and obedience. It begins with this presumption and is completed with a "But".

Quote:
"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)". Ephesians 2:4-5
It is not by what we have done or are even capable of doing. It is what God has done based on His surpassing mercy and love for us. This is the gospel message and I thank God that it wasn't left up to me to perform perfectly to be accepted by Him.

Doug

Last edited by dougedwards; 02-20-2017 at 05:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dougedwards For This Useful Post:
Grizzly (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 PM

Here is a little something to think about. Romans 6,7 & 8 again.

Romans 6
The blood is put over the doorposts of the Children of Israel who are living in captivity. They are then set free from captivity and bondage in Egypt.
They now begin a journey to the Promised Land. Jesus travels with them now so that their faith might grow in God as Jesus goes with them and provides for them miraculously. Their faith should grow as God provides all that is needed through Christ who is but a shadow of what is to come but is seen as the rock that gives water, the cloud that goes before them and the power of the staff of Moses.

The blood of Jesus is shed for you and me. We are covered by the blood and freed from our captivity to "the" sin (nature). "Romans 6:14 Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God’s grace." Jesus now lives within us and will go through life with us as our helper as our faith begins to grow as we live our new life trusting in Him who has saved us.

Romans 7
But what do they do: Murmur and complain; long for the comforts of Egypt; forget from one moment to the next what God has done for them; the faith they once had and should have maintained in the blood and the power of God reverts back to the idols of Egypt as they build a golden calf to worship.
So God lets them wander for 40 years in the wilderness when they could have gotten to the Promised Land a whole lot sooner.

How soon after you were born of the Spirit and saw God provide and work in your life did you begin to forget His miracles? How often did you have to stop and remember, and stir the memories of all He has done? How easy was it to drift back into the comforts of old bondages which we love? How long did it take for our faith which brought us to repentance to shift back into the idols that we put before God? How long will we wander in this wilderness? We could have gotten to the Promised land of life in the Spirit of Christ Jesus directly from our new birth but we are sidetracked by our old ways, memories and desires which allows (the) sin (nature) to revive. Once our faith is taken off of Christ and our dependence upon Him is weakened or lost we are in the wilderness until we "turn" again from our wicked ways and call out in repentance again.

Chapter 8
The Promised Land. The original generation was not allowed in. They died in the wilderness because they would not "turn" from their wicked ways. It was to be their way and God allowed them to go down that highway, that broad way that leads to destruction. They never did get to know what God had in store for them; what He would have gave them and done for them. They instead stayed in law and self and suffering and died there.

Life in the Spirit of Christ Jesus. Will we ever get to know what that is? Will we enter in or remain in the wilderness of self and pride and suffering, falling back under the domination of our sin nature? Will we squander our inheritance or will we come to our senses and repent and turn and enter in?

I'd never seen these parallels before this clearly; parts of it maybe. Yes, God loves us and has made it possible for us to know Him and walk with Him again. He will protect us with all of His Power and what do we have to do? Believe. Keep the faith. Trust Him. Let Him help us to obey and love and walk in the Spirit of Christ Jesus. Live as little children believing in our Father, believing in the finished work of Jesus.

Let Him show Himself to you, seek Him with all your heart and you will find Him. And when you do, don't settle for just a little bit of Jesus, desire all of Jesus so that you too can someday say "this world has nothing on me" as you instead love your new life in His Promised Land. "Don't you know that the Kingdom of God is within you?"(Luke 17:21) waiting for you to enter in through Christ? Or you might say, through life in the Spirit of Christ Jesus?

Romans 14: "14 I know and am convinced on the authority of the Lord Jesus that no food, in and of itself, is wrong to eat. But if someone believes it is wrong, then for that person it is wrong. 15 And if another believer is distressed by what you eat, you are not acting in love if you eat it. Don’t let your eating ruin someone for whom Christ died. 16 Then you will not be criticized for doing something you believe is good. 17 For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too. 19 So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up."

Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM

From Galatians Chapter 2 KJV:
1 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. 12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. 13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. 14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no* flesh be justified. 17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid*. 18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Paul is speaking of what can happen if we go back into law. He says then we frustrate the grace of God. "18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor."

In Romans Chapter 7, if we go back into law, do we frustrate the grace of God?

How do we go back into law so that these verses apply to us? We probably won't go back into Jewish law, but can we go back into the law that we lived under before we came to repentance and were born of the Spirit? The law "we" grew up under is self sufficiency. I can do it on my own. With enough will power I can conquer this. These are all laws we have previously lived under and most of us still do. If we who have been once made free from the dominion of sin then go back and live the way we once did, do we not frustrate the grace of God also?

What happens to us when we frustrate the grace of God? We forfeit, we loose the victory that we could know over the flesh, the world and the devil. Also, God will not be able to work in us and through us as well as He could if our faith had remained in the finished work of Jesus and if our faith had remained where it was when we came to repentance and were born of His Spirit. If our faith goes back into "I can now do it" we frustrate the grace of God. We walk in the wilderness until we learn what it means to deny self daily and take up our cross. Most Christians I fear, live in chapter 7 and do not enter in to the promised land. We know about it, talk about it, even preach about it, but like the Pharisees of old, we don't enter in ourselves.

Matthew 7:
13“But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in".

What does Jesus mean here when He says Woe unto you? Is this part of the Eternal Salvation discussion? Is it part of loss of rewards discussion? Does it speak to the correction we will have to go through as a child of God for our living in transgression? These are just questions as we seek to understand what the Kingdom of God is like and hopefully share our witness to what life is like in HIS Kingdom.

Last edited by Grizzly; 02-20-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Lightbulb Re: The Law

Quote:
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Again, this Pauline statement was penned for a specific reason. What the apostle is saying here is that no measure of righteousness is able to be attained through any obedience to the law. If the law provided any hope or power for the person's adherence to it then Christ died for nothing.

In addition, based on the context of this letter, Paul doesn't seem to be referring to incidental offences of the law but a policy of providing another course to heaven and eternal life than through the divine grace of God.

On one hand, the apostles were battling the infection of Legalism, which condoned a righteousness attained through observance and obedience and Gnosticism which condoned the offenses of physical sin as long as the Spirit of man was not involved. In both situations, the grace of God is compromised since God's children were saved by grace through faith to be righteous and to promote that righteousness into action.

On a personal note, I rarely have thought about any earned rewards in heaven. I look forward to the reward of meeting loved ones and being in the glorious presence of the Lord. Even in my daily life I neglect setting righteous goals but react to the blessings that God has bestowed upon me with gratitude and thanksgiving. When I do set goals to please God in this way or that, I always end up being severely disappointed. I fail so often when I apply my self control abilities to walk in the light. It is only when I relax and be still to know that He is God that I feel the gift of inner peace which is only rendered through the Spirit.

More than anything else on earth, that feeling of inner peace represents success to me.

Doug
Old 02-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Very True.
Quote:
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

"No measure of righteousness can be obtained through any obedience to the law" Yes, this is what Paul said. Now examine how we may be living.

2 Corinthians 13: "5 Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine. Test yourselves. Surely you know that Jesus Christ is among you; if not, you have failed the test of genuine faith. 6 As you test yourselves, I hope you will recognize that we have not failed the test of apostolic authority." NLT

Do we live in law to the rules of the Church? Do we live in law to the rules of our parents or society? This is not altogether a bad thing. UNLESS we are not aware of the Holy Spirit within guiding us through life as we maintain (He maintains through grace) a living, vibrant faith in the finished work of Christ. Are we aware of His leading? Do we daily go out the door desirng to be led by the Spirit? Do we feel His leading and correction? Is our faith firmly in Christ and His Righteousness so that we are enabled by grace to do what normally we would shrink from? Do we examine ourselves to check our faith?

If we don't and if we live only under the written and unwritten laws of society, well then we may be thwarting the grace of God in our life. I don't mean the occasional sin or offense but again, our lifestyle; how we are living. Are we really walking in the Spirit by faith or are we still living in self by sight? How many people do you know who think that living a good life will be seen by God and account towards their salvation? How many in the Church think that? How many live like that? We might also without a clear understanding of the right Gospel, the right Jesus and the right Spirit.

Again, was this part of the Gospel taught in Churches on Sunday? Or are we getting wonderful intellectual commentaries that really don't address the type of sin we ignore? That sin being not really walking in faith, surrendered to the leading of the Spirit and doing the will of God but still being led in the flesh by self? Paying lip service to our Lord and Savior Christ?

Why do I keep harping on this? Because this danger is too easy to fall prey to. It is easy to live a good moral life in the sight of others but what is God seeing? We may never fully know the victory in life possible for us if we don't yearn for a life led by the Holy Spirit with the goal being "it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me and this life I live in the flesh, I live by the faith of Jesus, who gave His life for me." I keep on harping on this because I want to keep reminding myself of this danger along with anyone with ears to hear. I am well aware of my weakness in this area. It has been the weakness of all mankind with the exception of the few who have found and walked His Narrow Way. I've spent most of my life on the broad way and know how important it is now to wake up and stay awake so that "muscle memory" does not once again take over completely and I be "overcome". Or You my Brothers.

I have known this promised victory that Christ won for us on a few occasions. I want to know it on many more. I want my faith to be strong enough and my love increased enough so that I can go up against the Goliaths in life knowing sin has no dominion over me. I want to walk in the assurance that Jesus provides so that I know victory over the flesh, the world and the devil and can witness to others that it is possible and happening in my life. It can, it has and it is supposed to. That is the Good News. That is the salvation Jesus came for us to have. There is more, but that is for later when He returns. Right now this should be uppermost in the minds and hearts of the Body of Christ, His Church.

19 For through the Law I died to the Law so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God. For if righteousness comes through the Law, Christ died for nothing.”…Galatians 2:19-21 BSB

Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 AM

Within the contemporary evangelical message that has been promoted in our Western hemisphere is the concept that the purpose of salvation (justification) is for the convert to inherit eternal life. Therefore, this metaphoric carrot is submitted as incentive for a person to make a confession of faith. A trade of sorts. You say this and God will give you that.

Although there are many Scripture passages that link this gift to confession, the overall New Testament message refers to the free gift of life eternal as merely a by product of faith. Those that God foreknew He also justified. Those that were justified were also engaged in a process of sanctification by being conformed into the likeness of Christ. And those that were sanctified He shall surely glorify. A process initiated by faith not merely a confession made out of a sense of preservation.

No man can be justified without being sanctified because faith grows from faith to faith. When this growth of faith comes to a halt is the exact time for self examination of the convert to see if Christ is truly within him.
This does not indicate that this same process cannot be stifled by the influence of the world, evil spiritual forces or even by the fleshly inclinations of the convert. But being born of the Spirit must mean that something changes. What is that change?

Quote:
Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun with the Spirit are you now ending with the flesh? Did you experience so many things in vain—if it really is in vain. Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Galatians 3:2-5

The question that Paul proposes here is if the convert experienced true conversion by Spiritual means, how can he now abandon this same means in favor of strict adherence to the law? The answer is that he cannot. Being born of the Spirit is effective. Not mostly or partially effective. But effective for all time and eternity and for life everlasting.

The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ sets us free. And he who has been set free by Christ is free indeed!

Doug

Tags
law