Trad Talk Forums banner

new Samick Verna vs new Montana Longbow

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  NJWoodsman 
#1 ·
Looks like Fred Bear Montana has been redesigned for 2011 and Samick Verna is now being sold again. I am trying to choose between both? any thoughts?

I am looking for a r/d longbow at a budget. But something I can try and then return.

#2 ·
But something I can try and then return.
This is what your local archery club or trad show is for. It cost companys money when people pull this stunt and in the end we all pay more for stuff. Buy a used one if your not sure, then sell it if you dont like it. The montana is a decent entry level longbow, but that is what it is, entry level in my opinion. I have one, but not the new one your talking about. I have no experience with the other bow you mentioned.

#3 ·
You know I have seen the "entry level bow" used alot. What exactly makes a bow an entry level bow? Is it simply the pricing? I've shot several "entry level" bows that are flat out flame throwers and accurate(I've seen the Quinn Stallion called this before). So, I am assuming that the term don't relate to the bows performance. Sure they aren't going to be like your high end target bows, but for my purposes they work just as well or better since I am not walking on pins and needles of fear of breaking one if I take a spill.

I think that term will sometimes turn someone off from a bow that could be great for them and their needs.

#4 ·
I believe both the Verna and Montana are considered low-priced bows (does not mean bad quality). Unfortunately, I am the only Trad shooter at my club and there are pro shops in my area. Even if I am to buy a used one, I still want to get some opinions on both before I decide.

#5 ·
Jeff, my definition of an entry level bow is a decent bow for the money, and one that wont break the bank if your not happy. My Montana worked fine for my first bow, and until I tried the Northern Mist Baraga, I was happy with the Montana. Those 2 bows are not in the same league in terms of performance/price/looks. For $300 your getting a decent bow, and for $550 or so the Baraga is a lot more bow in my opinion.

#6 ·
The Montana has a lot of fans. If you get one and don't like it, you won't have any trouble selling it and won't lose much. The lower end Samick's, not so much. I had a Montana I'll got for a real good price, and broke even when I sold it. I didn't like the blocky grip and the draw weight was too high for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.