Trad Talk Forums banner

Jake's white squirrel chilli

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  kestimator 
#1 ·
Begin with 5 or so whole squirrels and simmer for at least an hour in chicken stock till meat is tender and pulls apart by hand. Pull meat by hand and set aside.

Other ingredients
2 medium yellow onions
2 bell peppers one red one green
1 table spoon cayenne
1 table spoon chipotle peppers
1/2 table spoon cumin
1/2 table spoon salt
4 cloves garlic minced
2 cans great northern beans
1 can pinto beans
1/2 quart chicken stock

Cook peppers and onions until soft. Then add meat and all other ingredients. Simmer 1 1/2 hours covered. Uncover and simmer till desired consistency.

#6 ·
My Mom grew up a financially challenged coal miner's daughter in SW West Va. The head/brain was a delicacy to them at that time. I grew up in the city of Austin. To date we have cut the heads off :) LOL!!!
My Dad, who grew up here in Texas, not with a silver spoon in his mouth did not eat the heads.
I will probably leave the heads in the woods for the other critters or nature to take back for their use. Perhaps someday, I'll be more brave and eat the heads and brains.

#7 ·
I have heard the brains are a delicacy for some old times but have always just lopped the heads off. Mostly because it makes skinning and cleaning easier. I make a small cut behind the tail and peel off the whole hide. This tends to leave whiskers, ears, and bits of fur/skin on the head. So I just chop it off. If I am frying legs a lot of times I won't even gut them just remove limbs and leave the rest for yotes and othe scavengers. Unlike a rabbit the portion of meat along the spine is quite small so I just leave it out if I am cleaning more than 3-4 of them for a meal of fried squirrel legs. Naturally if the recipe called for whole squirrel I gut them.

#9 ·
I grew up around some "purest" and they were definitely anti-bean :) LOL!!
I however love kidney beans!!
My wife and her mom have always put pintos and kidney beans in their chili, and they are Texans...plus Hispanic....from what I've read...chili or what we call chili around here may have originated...or at least gained its popularity on the streets of early San Antonio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.