Trad Talk Forums banner

Long Draw Solution 68" Longbow?

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ShavedSasquatch 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been shooting a Hoyt gamemaster (#45) for about 3 years now, DAS treatment and carbon arrows, I'm frustrated that the bow stacks quite a bit at my 31" draw, and it would seem its something I can't avoid with any recurve, so I got looking at LongBows, because well, they are long.

I was reading the Bob Lee archery site, suggests a 66" bow for 30 +" draws. Is that a general rule of thumb? The GM is 62" but perhaps the longer riser and shorter limbs make it stack more compared to say the Dalaa or Titan? Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on a 31" draw thats probably closer to 32" if I got my form correct. Looking into a 68" longbow of some kind, say a AIM (Internature?) viper DLX, or perhaps the PSE sequoia.

Perhaps I could work out my form with #40 limbs on the GM? I'm just looking for suggestions and some wisdom from some seasoned long draw archers, or anyone really.

Thanks

#3 ·
I feel your pain.I also have long draw issues.I also own over 50 bows and can tell you they all draw and shoot differently. James suggestion about the long ilf limb conversion is a good one.Most 62'' bows I have tried are uncomfortable to shoot especially 3 piece.I think you may be suprised by the difficulty in switching from recurve to a longbow. Its a grip thing. (try one before you buy) Remember that if you start at 40 lbs your at 50 in a hurry with some bows. A 66'' one piece recurve is a joy to shoot. Just my 2 cents......Curt

#4 ·
Z, my draw is a little longer than yours. I too had a GM riser, full DAS conversion, with shorts that stacked as well. I am currently shooting the 21" riser DAS Elite with longs and couldn't be happier. I have tried mediums on the 21" risers and even with the bolts backed out they were still not as smooth as the longs. I had a Dalaa with longs that gave me a 62" bow that was much smoother than the GM but with my dl the finger pinch was not acceptable. Going to a 66" bow seemed long to me initially but I got over it quickly as I found that I was more accurate with 66" and also had far less finger pinch. Plus the 66" bow with longs is so SMOOTH, and just a real pleasure to shoot. Sure a shorter bow would be nice in thick stuff, but at my height a couple inches to the top and bottom of my bow is the least of my worries when hauling my carcass through the bush. You have to realize that with added height and a longer dl, a 66" bow is proportionally no different for us than a short bow is for someone shorter.
I don't know that I'd give up on the GM without at least trying long limbs. There is also the option of a 21" Warf with it's added adjustability. I'm a huge fan of the Elite, can't imagine a better built smoother shooting bow. But no matter which riser I've tried I've come to the conclusion that for me 66" is the shortest I want to go, it just makes such a huge difference shooting something that fits.

#5 ·
Agree with whats being said. Put some long limbs on that GM riser to get a 66" bow and you will be amazed at the transformation. I draw 31" with a recurve and have owned both the GM/long combo and the Elite/long combo. Long limbs are the way to go with those shorter risers.

#6 ·
With most bows I draw 32.75" from the nock groove to the back of the bow (front of the shelf). I get a little finger pinch from longer shooting sessions (over 100 arrows) from the 66" DAS Elite but still find it acceptable. All my serious shooting (Field, FITA & Indoor) is with 70" recurves. If I could still hunt I wouldn't go shorter than 66" because of the shooting qualities.

As for longbows, I had a 66" Bob Lee Stick. I liked everything about it except that it stacked at 32-1/4". That last half inch was like hitting a wall. Eventually it started effecting my form so I sold it. If you are serious about a longbow don't consider anything shorter than a 68" and you might be even happier with 70".

Dave

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I'll have to look up what a WARF is. So for long limbs, I need the DAS ILF adapters correct? Any recommendations on which limbs to buy? I'm not worried about high end or low-end, just something thats gonna fit.
Again thanks for all the info its been a great help.

z

#8 ·
All you need is bushings. They can be made from those bronze sleeve bearings available at the local hardware store for a couple of bucks. Just have to ream out the inside (a "G" drill bit) and turn down the outside to fit your limbs. DAS sells the bushings too, but they are NOT ILF, get the Gamemaster bushings. Almost any Hoyt limbs will be fine. Most Win limbs will work too. The KAPs that papa sells on this site work fine too. Because of the way the limb bed curves on the GM there are some limbs that won't work well but you should be fine with those I mentioned.

#9 ·
Thanks alot Toxoman, I ordered the gamemaster bushings, now just to figure out what limbs I want.

Ok so short limbs make the 21" GM riser a 62" bow, Med make it a 64" bow and long makes it a 66" bow. Are there any other things I should lookout for that Toxo hasn't already mentioned when looking for limbs? Realizing the curve on the GM riser as well as the fact that I have the anti-vibration pads?

I assume I'll need another string, longer of course. I have the 8125 string for the GM, love it, much better than the stock string, will a 8125 for a 66" DAS bow work on with new limbs on my GM riser? I only ask because David lists them for DAS bows only.

z

#10 ·
If you go to the TradTalk store, PapaBull has the Winstorm carbon limbs for $170 and Winstorm fiberglass limbs at $145 right now. You can't beat that with a stick. The difference between the two is that the carbon limbs are probably a hair faster(a coupla feet per second), and the carbon offers more lateral stability- which means they're more forgiving of imperfect form. If I were you, that's the way I'd go. You're GM riser will be a LOT smoother with ILF longs. I've shot a stock GM before, and it stacked pretty badly compared to any ILF limbed bow I've shot. It was also way heavier than the listed draw weight...

A DAS 66" string would probably work just fine for you.

If you end up buying ILF limbs for your GM, plan carefully before you order them. I'm pretty sure those GM risers aren't adjustable, and they should pick up a couple of extra pounds over the marked weight on the limbs; someone here probably knows exactly how much. You should probably make sure you accurately check the weight on your current limbs at your draw length, too, since I've heard of other people who's GM limbs were heavier than labelled. Also, keep in mind that ILF limbs will pick up about 2.5 lbs. per inch over 28 inches all the way out to your 31" draw length. So, you'll have to add a couple/few pounds to the listed weight for your GM riser, plus count on about 7 lbs. more than that to get to your draw length, and you can see how it would be easy to get limbs that are too heavy. Sorry to be so long-winded, and I hope this helps.

#12 ·
if you were to decide to get a 68" longbow, please be sure and tell the bowyer that you want a bow for a dang gorilla draw :) and then listen to what the bowyer tells ya. Very few bowyers I know want an unhappy customer. Most 68" long bows can be tillered to 32" but ya needed to tell the bowyer we are going to 32"

rusty

#14 ·
I am curious how you all measure your draw length. I pull 29.75 to the front edge of the plunger. I have my axis shafts footed with 1.5" of alum shaft so I feel it touch. What draw length would you call this. ? I have ordered an Elite riser ordered and want long limbs but I do not have a clue what limbs I want. I have been watching this type of thread but do not know anything about the limbs mentioned. Border limbs sound good tome but there semm to be a lot of choices. I now shoot a Dalla and it seems to almost bottom out with longs (62" ). thanks ....losttracker

#15 ·
lt-

Your draw would be 29.75+1.75 or 31.5". You will be fine with the Elite riser. I ran mine with the limbs bolts almost all the way out and I have a 31" draw. Not even close to stacking. What limbs you get will be up to you. If you are new to ILF limbs those Winstorms that papa sells are a great deal. I have X-pressions and Winex's on my target bows and am happy with those. Those Border's do sound nice. IF you are going to hunt consider the SF glass/foam or any glass/wood limbs for the quietness factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.