Trad Talk Forums banner

!Fastest Traditional Bow Search! !10GR/LB!

44K views 81 replies 42 participants last post by  DDD 
#1 · (Edited)
Many archers around here do not have a chronograph. So i ask you guys that have a chronograph and top quality bows. Whats the fastest bow on a 10GR/LB configuration that you ever shot. Thank you very much.

Top Production Bows Speed List:
1-- 62# @28 Belcher Bows Patriot handle SSR recurve limbs 56" [205fps] = Video
2-- 72# @29" Black Douglas Swift with H core Hex 5 Limbs -----[196fps]
3-- 47# @31" Border Harrier Royale----------------------------[195fps]
-- 50# @28" Predator "Classic" 9.8gpp!------------------------[193fps]
-- 55# @33" AH ACS CX 11gpp!------------------------------[188fps]
-- 48# @28" Firefly/G3 Hoyt bow-----------------------------[187fps]
-- 48# @28" 52" Montana recurve----------------------------[187fps]
-- 47# @30" Hoyt GM 2 with TT Blackmax Carbon 66"----------[185fps]
-- 49# @28" 58" Cari bow WOLVERINE-------------------------[184fps]
-- 51# @28" Pse Kingfisher Recurve Bow 9gpp!-----------------[188fps]
-- 50# @28" PL X "Birdseye Maple" T/D 9.4gpp!---------------[185fps]
-- 55# @28" O.L. ADCOCK ACS LONGBOW 60"------------------[181fps]
-- 58# @28" 60" Palmer Carbon Recurve-----------------------[180 fps]
-- 50# @28" 66" Grifon Gl Border Archery----------------------[180fps]
-- 45# @28" TT Titan Recurve with Carbon Extreem BF 11gpp!-[180fps]
-- 48# @28" Samick Td Hunter-------------------------------[180fps]
-- 42# @28" 58" Lost Creek Longbow--------------------------[179fps]
-- 50# @28" 62" Longbow Cari Bow Peregrine-------------------[178fps]
-- 47# @28" 62" Liberty Chief Elite----------------------------[176fps]
-- 45# @28" 62" A D M longbow-------------------------------[176fps]
-- 47# @28" TT Black Onyx BM C limbs-------------------------[175fps]
-- 42# @30" Blacktail TD Recurve: 66" 11.5gpp!----------------[174fps]
-- 45# @28" TT Pinacle Longbow GW limbs 11gpp!--------------[174fps]
-- 64# @29" on 17" DAS riser with Dryad ACS XL---------------[174fps]
-- 48# @28" Anneewakee Addiction 56" 11.45gpp!--------------[171fps]
-- 45# @28" 62" Montana Whip Longbow----------------------[171fps]
-- 39# @29" Kaya Korean Traditional Bow 9gpp!:(--------------[170fps]
-- 49# @28" Harvest Master HC Recurve 12gpp!----------------[168fps]
-- 50# @28" Black Widow PTF II (Prototype) 62"11.4gpp!--------[168fps]
-- 39# @30" Hwarang Bow MWP-------------------------------[169fps]
-- 40# @28" Samick Sage TD Recurve-------------------------[166fps]
-- 50# @28" White Wolf Red Moon Longhunter S4--------------[165fps]
-- 39# @30" Wind Fighter Korean Bow-------------------------[165fps]
-- 60# @28" Hoyt Buffalo Recurve 12.5gpp!--------------------[160fps]
-- 38# @28" Black Widow SA lll 11.1gpp!-----------------------[161fps]
-- 49# @28" Morrison Dakota TD 60"--------------------------[161fps]
-- 39# @30" Grozer TRH--------------------------------------[159fps]
-- 52# @28" Aidy Hayes Longbow-----------------------------[158fps]
-- 49# @28" Falco Legends Flatbow 10gpp!--------------------[158fps]
-- 50# @28" Neil Harrington Longbow 72" 10.6gpp!-------------[155fps]
-- 49# @28" Chris Boyton High Performance Longbow 11.1gpp!--[154fps]
-- 48# @28" Rampart TD RC 60"-------------------------------[151fps]
-- 45# @28" R. Welch Dakota TD RC 60" 12gpp!----------------[150fps]
-- 46# @28" Samick Skb 9gpp!--------------------------------[150fps]
-- 28# @28" Samick Polaris Td Recurve 11.5gpp!---------------[149fps]
-- 50# @28" Samick Stingray 58"------------------------------[142fps]
-- 55# @27"-@27.5" Samick Skb 10.5gpp!---------------------[142fps]

Home Made Bows:
-- 26# @28" Asirian bow by "Dady"[RO] 12gpp!-----------------[180fps]
-- 50# @28" Pecan Self Bow----------------------------------[164fps]

See less See more
#10 ·
Well bad news Sid as your products are pretty darned fast!

Border Harrier Royale 47#@ 31" , 10gpp 195fps. (12 strand flemish)

410 grains came out at 205fps.
600 grains 173fps.

Not bad for a light bow. 70" longbow.
Why is is that longbow limbs handle heavy arrows so well?

If you look at these numbers - the arrow weight went up 46% yet the speed only dropped 16% - why is this?

I am shooting ACS limbs in my Dalaa right now and am amazed at the different arrow weights and spines it will digest and spit out with the same basic point of impact at 20 yards.

Matt

#8 ·
Just to add its nice to know a bows performance and playing with Chronos is fun but it is quite hard to compare across different bows and different archers and set ups.

Most of the performance bows are pretty much known and there isn't a lot in it speed wise. Keeping stability is another matter, you need performance and control (and probably a different guy behind the string than me!).

In speed tests it is hard to control for absolutely correct draw length, arrow weight, chrono accuracy etc., and the tendency to give it a little more mustard when in front of a chrono.

For instance for my figures I would likely need to check the draw length and consequently the poundage, I am possibly a bit over the 31" draw maybe its 32" as I am shooting it more like my recurve. That makes quite a difference.

So its quite tricky to compare. Bit of fun though.

#9 ·
As I also have an O L Adcock ACS CX one piece longbow (not A&H) from memory I seem to recall it was somewhere in the mid to high 180's at 10gpp so the Border has it beat. I think the 3pc takedown ACS is faster.

Not sure what conclusions you can draw.

A long draw gets you speed.

If you can get a good release that gets you more speed, and as Rod says "never stop pulling" should get you a bit more. I can lay claim to one out of three! (the long draw).

I guess Nathan's chrono must be worn out the workout it gets :)

#11 ·
Matt,

I think bows get more efficient when pushing heavier arrows, by that I mean more of the available energy goes into pushing the heavier arrow. So doubling arrow weight doesn't half speed. Lighter arrows seem to waste a good deal of energy, more noise and handshock with those. I haven't worked out the formula for the relationship though - sure someone has. there must be a most efficient sweet spot somewhere.

All being said I have been impressed by the performance, although likely I will use a 500+ grain arrow in the set up

Dylan

#13 ·
Fastest bow is a slippery slope indeed. Unless your using a shooting machine and standards for weight and drawlength. Well then it's the shooter that imparts the speed. An extra inch of draw or a live release can make a heck of a difference.

We don't play the speed game much. Would much rather have fast enough, smooth , stable and quiet.

Mike

#17 ·
Couldnt agree more!
My speeds are real world averages shot with tab at my draw length, give my bow to someone else and they will get other results... My friend Ronny draws nearly 32 and he gets amazing speeds out of relativly ordinary bows....

#14 ·
I reckon thats the right approach Mike.

Archer speed results should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt (and sometimes scepticism!) - quite interesting though.

Out of interest though what is the next development for Dryad ACS limbs?

Double Carbon?

Recurve ACS?

#18 ·
Nathan - ask Sid to build you another Harrier Royale, I am sure he will oblige! Although the Hawk is I think faster...

Maybe flog the Sirius to raise funds!

My Harrier Royale seems to be on a par with my 53# Hoyt FX limbs, I shall have to run the Hex5's through the chrono with similar weight arrows to the Harrier at simialr draw weight to see how they compare. Crazy thing is it will be close!

#19 ·
I agree with Mike and the longer the bow and the more draw the more power right.

So everything that is posted doesn't have the same arrow weight - poundage or draw length.

Would be a better test (if it's want you want) is too have all companies shoot a 50 pound bow with a 500 grain arrow @ 28" out of the same machine...maybe that would be the only way to really test this out.

Can't see that happening though...some pretty impressive stuff there.

I know the 50# Orion I just bought from Mike feels like a 60# bow right now with the broken rib - but she puts them out there alright.

Jer

#21 ·
CCH,

I dont think 192fps is slow with a 30" draw and 8.5gpp. Thats plenty of speed not sure you need to chase more. Obviously a lighter arrow will get you more. Each 5grains saved should give you approx. 1fps.

I dont want to give the wrong impression as I am not chasing out and out raw speed. I tend to get more than a reasonable amount of speed from a long draw length and decent limbs/bows. That formula with a barebow recurve rig and quite light arrows gives plenty of speed (222+). I could get quite a bit more speed if I wanted to, but just be an even faster miss for me though and they aint giving medals for fastest miss! Unfortunately.

dont sweat the speed too much - its a nice biproduct.

#22 ·
CCH Probably cause you can read a chronograph lol Speed is pretty hard to believe unless it is witnessed I shoot my bows around 200-220 depending on my hunting rig vs 3d rig. I get a pretty consistant 217 with my 3d rig but those are with my arrow weight etc.... I think apples to apples is hard to do unless you have a shooting machine matching arrows and several witnesses ha ha

Jordan

CCH I think I am right about the same as you with heavier arrows I dont have any that way 10 grains per pound thats hard to do at 65 or 70 #

#28 ·
I will have to go to the pro shop and see what there chrono say's. My arrows are plenty fast and go through the animals I shoot with it. Maybe my bow is faster than I thought.
Jordan are you going to Libby this year? You beat me a couple of years ago. I can't get there this year but am thinking maybe next year.
Chris.

#29 ·
Chris,

I don't know I am pretty easy pickens for an a$$ whooping I have not been shooting much lately but am planning a return to some competitive archery this year for sure...last year I only went to two shoots work just wouldn't cooperate with me it was a lot easier when I worked for someone else now I work for myself and man my boss is a JERK lol

Jordan

#30 ·
To answer the question above the CG5 ACS ILF longbow limb is now ready for production. It is a carbon/glass limb and shoots some real impressive numbers. We are waiting on a shipment of carbon before we put them on the market. An ACS curve is still in R/D but should be ready in a few months if all goes well. I'm shooting a pair of 40# prototypes on a boltdown riser now that will set fire too an arrow. LOL

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.