Trad Talk Forums banner

"My" NEW Hoyt Satori 21" Riser

27K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  Walk Slowly 
#1 · (Edited)
Well... I guess I'm the first, huh? :^)

I opened the box to find a Hoyt case. It's the same one they send with all their new bows.

I opened the case; there was the riser, wrenches, manual, the rest, side plate modules and a stringer.

The finish on the riser was on par with my Dorado risers. It has, for lack of a better term, a chalky finish. Not the sleek and elegant finish like on the Titan and Morrison risers I've owned. Not saying it's a disappointment, it's just different than them. The riser seems very well made and heavy. I don't have a way to weigh it, but I'm sure it's heavier than my Morrison riser and the DAS and Titan risers I've owned. Of course it's 2" longer than them too.

In other words, the darn thing is built like a tank.

The wood grip feels nice. I'll have to shoot it some to find out for sure. It has a very narrow throat--which I like. I can always take the drum sander to it or order a Jager 2.0 down the road if need be.

The first thing I wanted to check was to see if my Hoyt quivers with the triangular stud would fit. Bummer... they won't fit, but I may be able to grind some stock off the stud to get it to work. These risers will take the hexagonal studs like all new Hoyt quivers.

Now... it's off the garage to put a string and set of limbs on it. Be back later...

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
The grip is nice; I'm sure most folks will get along well with it. It has a narrow throat, which I like, but after shooting it a few days, I think it's a tad too high for me. I'm either going to take the drum sander to it or, order a Jager 2.0 medium.

The Dorado (Profit) grips won't work. It's my understanding it takes the same grips that fits the Ion-X, HPX, RX, GPX, GMX, Formula Excel Pro, Horizon Pro, Formula Excel, Horizon and Excel.

#38 ·
Yes, this is an ILF riser. Hoyt discontinued the Dorado, GameMaster II, Formula Buffalo and Formula Tiburon back in September. The Satori is the only offering Hoyt has in their "traditional" line now.

#40 ·
I don't know and have no way or wouldn't know how to measure it, but apparently it's same as the Titan's and DAS risers. I weighed some limbs and they follow the 1# per inch rule.

Reactions: GREENCB
#42 ·
Don't know if the Satori limbs will be offered in long length. But just in case you weren't aware, the standard Satori limbs are carbon with Maple core. The only Satori limbs that have the Bamboo core are the Carbon X-Tour limbs.

Hoyt sells the Grand Prix Carbon X-Tour limbs in a long length. Same limbs from what I can tell, but with different limb graphics.

#43 ·
Brady Ellison shoots the X-Tour limbs. I see on Hoyt's website they're available with your choice of either foam or bamboo cores.

#45 ·
lol

Have you checked the price of those? I'll pass. Besides... I just sprang for a set of Uukha Vx1000 Xcurves for it. :)

Reactions: GREENCB
#58 ·
@Jim - with the bow strung up, and balancing the bow on your finger on your index finger on the grip pivot point... what's the balance like?

Did they go neutral or bottom balanced?
I got to hold one the other day, seems very nice. This one had a short hunting stab. I held it out at arms length and opened my hand and almost caught it with my head. Ill take Jim's word it balances at 3-9, cause it certainly was in a hurry to get there even with a stab.

#50 ·
I see the first one has shown up on the classifieds. A guy has one listed over on ArcheryTalk for $380. It's a 19" RH model.

#57 ·
No, not if you got the Satori limbs. Satori limbs are marked 45# with a 21" riser. So, if wanted 45# on your fingers with a 17"riser, you'd need to buy 40# Satori limbs.

#64 ·
I just got word, my left-hand 21" Satori is on the way. Looks like I'll get to play again later this week. :)

#70 ·
That's unfortunate.

I must admit, this was the only negative that came to mind when I learned of the new riser. Hoyt put so much thought into it. To me it really is a well thought out graceful riser that meets that fine line between 'traditional recurve' and modern technology/ILF. But that damn plastic Part. They should have made it out of aluminum. would the cost be that different?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.