Trad Talk Forums banner

What does it mean to be a traditional archer?

9K views 45 replies 31 participants last post by  stevelong 
#1 ·
Hello trad talk

A little about myself, I am a barebow turned olympic recurve archer and I've been shooting for awhile now and have come to love the sport.

However, with the amount of time I've been shooting I have come to realize that what I thought was one and the same (traditional archery and barebow) are not actually the same thing.

I always thought that traditional archery just meant shooting without a sight but after shooting with a club full of trad shooters I discovered a whole other culture in archery, and that "traditional archery" has a much more deep and complicated meaning than what is presented face value.

So my question is, what meaning do traditional archers find in their shooting, and how does it differ from the barebow philosophy***?

***Barebow for me meant that as an archer I shoot to achieve an olympic recurve-like result without the use of sights. Extreme concentration, a method of aiming and excellent shot execution was the priority.

See less See more
#36 ·
Traditional archery is just word to describe a style of shooting. It might change from person to person. But I would bet most would say the modern usage of the word. Is the Howard Hill/Fred Bear instinctive or split vision style of shooting of the past. What I do find interesting is how many people who are triggered by the word "Trad" but its in the very name of the forum or sub forum they visit most. And community they probably see them selves part of. At the moment its very fashionable to take pot shots at people who want to practice this style of shooting. My theory would be they might feel slightly insecure for using more equipment. But still want to be admired by those who choose to use less. Or perhaps have tried that style of shooting and could not make it work for them. My reason for thinking this is. If you look at forums the vast majority of insults come from those who do not consider them selves "Traditional" archers.

The term Barebow I would say it is mostly used by competitive archers using more modern style bows and methods of aiming. Personally it's not what I'm interested in. And does not seem as fun to me. And I really don't see the point of string walking. It just seems like an overly complex way of using arrow as a sight pin. Why not put on a sight and be done with it? That's what you are doing any way, just less effective. Is it just so you could compete against others who don't use a sighting system to have an competitive advantage? If the term Trad is so offense why not just go compete in the same division as Olympic archers?

My question to those archers would be do they consider string walking as different than archers who choose to use a sight? From what I have heard people say their scores are about the same for them. So whats the great distinction? Personally I don't care how other choose to shoot. I know what I like, and how I want to enjoy archery. Just very tired of people constantly insulting people who choose to use the word "Trad" to describe their style of shooting. And feeling superior to those who choose to shoot this way. If that is how you feel. Then go post and feel superior on the Olympic archery forums. The irony is they will probably look down on you. And be making insulting post about your style of shooting.
:lol:

#37 ·
Well I am an Old fellow from Canada, so first off I apologize. Traditional to me is simple, it is the way I shoot no sights instinctive and 53yrs of shooting this way, to me that is my tradition. I use cedar arrows turkey feathers and Sequoia longbow 68/45, I must admit the bow is alot newer than my broken old Bear re-curve, but I like the way it shoots and I can still kill my game no problem. I think Trad is one string and what works for you. As long as you are passing it down and continue to fling arrows, it is now your tradition.

#39 ·
My first foray into the philosophical forum. Different organizations have different equipment qualifications for "traditional" and "bare bow." I don't worry too much about the social divisions in shooting different styles. I think most of us understand the accuracy that is novice, good, and exceptional in various styles from freestyle compound to something that is shot off the hand, and everything in between. I will never judge an archer by the equipment they choose to use. That's just personal preference to me, whatever makes you happy.
Now if you want to get all uppity about what you shoot and why, who cares? Not me. Just shoot what you like, have fun, and try to get better at whatever you are doing.

#41 ·
I don't sweat the whole 'traditional' thing. I love recurves. I have older recurves, and newer recurves. Classic and contemporary. Some were chosen for beauty, some for sheer function.

Like many I started with compounds, but as that 'branch' got into a techno-rat race, I grew less interested. Newer, faster, better every year. Your old release and sights and last years cams just ain't cutting it! My five year old bow is a dinosaur? Really?

Then, again like so many, I came upon 'Instinctive Shooting'. There was even a book! Holy revelation! I don't need a new sight, a new release, cams, yadda yadda, just practice this method!

So I got a recurve and wood arrows, and another recurve, and more arrows, and practiced. A lot. Worked on that 'swing' draw and 'burning a hole' and all that. And... it worked. To a point. Shot a deer at very close range even. Okay.

But. BUT. Eventually you run in to your personal limits with that style. Twenty yards and I can't group worth spit. 3d? I suck. Longer shots? Yeah, 'the beauty of the arrow in flight' blah-blah-blah. Right into the two ring.

In martial arts there's the old analogy of the full cup. You have to empty it some before you can pour more into it.

So it has been a process of unlearning as well as re-learning. First, lose that swing draw. I always practiced my shooting with a set arm draw. Keep the bow in front of my face between me and the deer, break up the face outline. Minimum motion. And by the way, drop some poundage until you build that back muscle.

Learn a proper back tension draw. A proper hook. A proper anchor. Pulling through. A shot 'sequence', divided into steps, each one repeatable, each one able to be analyzed, critiqued, improved. Learn what to focus on, and when.

My archery skills are still not that great. On a good day I can shoot well enough. I can always use a bit more practice than I put in. But I know what to DO at the practice butts.

And I've learned that it isn't what your riser is made of, or the style of hat you wear, or the color of your feathers, that puts arrows in the ten ring.

A good recurve bow can be lethal at 40 or 50 yards. Probably more. Accepting a 15 yard or 20 yard maximum is okay for some people. Just seems like a waste of potential to me.

#42 ·
I got hacked up by the NEO wacko gotta be a swing and snap shooter thing.

I used to try the method myself but learned better.

Some do not care about how they shoot, they think since is called Instinctive that they are born with the ability and do not need any practice.

I could care less, got over it and gonna share my thoughts no matter.:)

A lot of swingers think they have it down but Hill and Shulz had the method perfected to speak.

Snapping is bad unless you have to on a rising pheasant or a charging bear.

#43 ·
The problem I found with 'swing' draw was that you have to time it perfectly. Get to full draw too soon and you're likely to release before you've 'set' your anchor and focus. Get focused perfectly on target too soon and you also might release too soon. Either way, the result is a poor shot at best. I like to get to a solid anchor and *then* turn my full focus on the spot. Keeps my shot sequence in order!

I suppose the swing method works better if you're more naturally athletic than I am, and if you practice it constantly. (Two ways of saying the same thing!)

#44 ·
I think a lot of em are not able to hold at anchor and aim so the swing is kind of a wind thing to throw an arrow like a baseball.

They cannot hold and aim so for whatever reason they time the draw to coincide with their anchor and Bammmmm!

I kind of Identify with that I shoot a one string bow and am not traditional at all.

The whole trad thing started after TB magazine came out in the early 90's and then the internet.

Compounds came out in the 70's and before then everything was just archery.

#45 ·
Yeah, I've seen a lot of guys who say they can anchor, but they never do when they're shooting! Alignment? Non-existent. Consistency? Nope.

And bet on it, to a man they'd never be seen shooting a light, control-able bow. Apparently it is 'traditional' to shoot as heavy a bow as you can (almost) draw to anchor ;-)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.