Trad Talk Forums banner

Excel Owners Where are you'all?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Mark Hedges 
#1 ·
When the Hoyt Excel riser first came out there seemed to be a ton of people who were interested and ordered one. I can't believe that everyone is still waiting for delivery. How do you like this riser?

crunch

#2 ·
Good question. :^) There's a pretty good review of the 23" riser on POA, but not much out there on the 21" one--yet.

Heck, I just bought one yesterday to find out for myself. I'll let you know in a few days what I think of it.

#4 · (Edited)
I got mine a week ago from Altsevices, 21", black and beautiful.Its real light,simple, sleek little thing in a good way.The grip is narrow and fits me well.With 36# short Flutes all the way in I have a 37#@26½, 62 inches of unbelieveably quiet target enjoyment.Its cut past center just enough to take the Centerrest flipper which I really like, and even more important, the plungerhole sits low, less than a millimeter higher than the height of it on my Das Master, which I consider to be the absolute ideal height for the arrow to be.
Havent got to shoot a lot yet but for the money this riser makes a great second platform for playing with my pile of limbs, and if I didnt have the Master I dont see why it would not be the first riser for anything.Only the finish, a bit glossy to my tastes, sticks to my eye slightly.Might take a can of flat black to it, Im not plannin to sell this one either.:2cents:

r. mika

#5 ·
I've had the 21" version for a couple of weeks now and really like it. I'm using a set of 42lb Winstorm carbons pulling 46lb at 28". It's a little quieter than my Winstar riser but has slightly more handshock. It's also alot lighter. I also like the Hoyt grip better. I set it up to shoot off the shelf to be legal in some of the 3D shoots around here and it works really well. Thinking of getting a slightly heavier set of limbs for it and hunting with it in the fall.

#7 ·
I've had mine for several weeks now. I wrote up a couple reviews on other sites and I'm still lovin' it. I switched the grip out with a set of Hoyt side plates, the original grip was the only thing I didn't get along with.

It's a very easy to shoot riser. I've shot a bunch of ILF risers. Most of the 23" or 25" ones I've handled felt like they lacked pointability. To me the Excel points well and is responsive. I'm shooting my Excel/ Extreme setup at 60ish pounds and I've never shot a more accurate bow.

I've actually been thinking about getting another one if I can swing the cash. Always good to have a backup :)

#10 ·
I want my bow :eek:(

I can deal with the wait time though. I decided on the Excel because of the price. Then my local Hoyt dealer went straight from the book price. I'll have a longer wait, but I got a great price... And I helped out the local shop with a quick sale. So it kinda works out.

But after reading this thread, I want my bow... ;o)

Question? What made you all decide on the 21 vs the 23?

#12 ·
dont't know about MSRP, but I just stopped by my local OKC archery shop and they had 3-21" and a 1-23" laying in the case for $149.99 each....:)

#15 ·
Just checked this riser out. It's machined aluminum, pair that up with Hoyt's 300 limbs and for $500 you should have a great bow. How would this set compare with other mfg bows? I'm in the market for a 21" riser Dalaa. This bow if half the cost. I know there is the DAS limb fitting difference but at half the cost it has me thinking....

#19 ·
No limb alignment system on my 23" Excel riser. I finally got the chance to really tune it in, had to adjust tiller from my usual even to get her shooting smoothly and quietly with border TXG limbs, settled on upper being 4 mm greater. First time I needed an uneven tiller, even with these same limbs on other risers. Now I can shoot her with confidence since I hate a loud bow. Need to shoot for a while but I do like it.

#20 ·
I got my 23" excel (red) yesterday. In general I am pleased with it but it does have a couple areas for improvement.

First for some reason it was mislabeled as a Dorado, which is a 19" hunting riser. Not a big deal but I thought it was odd.

The finish is generally good but there is one rather large spot where there is no red paint and yellow paint is clearly visible. I don't know if they took a yellow one and repainted it red or what, but whatever they did they missed a spot.

I had to do a little clean-up to the plunger hole.

Limb alignment was good. Like others have said there is no alignment system. With the limbs I am using (Win inno's) the draw weight adjustment capability is minimal - expecially on the bottom limb, I have to have it close to wound down all the way or the limb butt will not pivot enough to contact the bolt.

I will post some pics after I get some computer issues I am having worked out.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.