Trad Talk Forums banner

ILF decisions decisions.

Tags
decisions ilf
10K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  Sid 
#1 ·
Today Lancaster had a 19" Hoyt Satori in stock so I couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger. Now for limbs.... my thoughts here are do I buy a set of Border limbs, zipper Z4's or go with the Satori limbs in either option. The cheaper Satori limbs would be the most affordable option but I want the best I can get my hands on. Are the bamboo cores worth any more than 2 fps over the standard Satori limbs? I have shot wood customs for as long as I have shot. This is my first ILF rig and I'm not against multiple limbs either. I'm looking for a 62" bow that performs and draws smooth at the end of the day. What would y'all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Yes I have been looking at those as well. The problem is ordering from Europe, or is that not a problem? Is there one better than the other? I hear nothing but good things about them all but which one haha. Thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
Ordering from Border is very easy. The 7.5s are probably the best performing limbs available. Bob makes great stuff. I have never shot or seen his max 4 limbs but reports are sounding very promising.

Border is usually about 10-12 weeks out. They sometimes have stock. Don't overlook the hex 6.5 or 7.

#5 ·
I'm sure any of the limbs mentioned would be great, but since smooth drawing is important to you, you may want to check out Uukha. I've got a set of shorts on my 19" riser and they're really nice. Very smooth thru the draw cycle and they "feel" like they soften on the back end all the way to my 29" draw. Since you're looking to get mediums, they'd even feel nicer.

#6 ·
I was looking at Uukha as well, I was thinking they were more of an Olympic target limb than a hunting limb. I am having a hard time finding any info on any of them unfortunately that's my only concern. Wish I could just go shoot them all to be honest with you. Are they all "super recurve" limbs?

#7 ·
"...Are they all "super recurve" limbs? "

No. The only one that is considered a Super Curve is the VX1000 Xcurve; the others are "curve" limbs. They have a little more curve than, what we might call, conventional limbs.

#8 ·
You can hunt with Uukha limbs as easily as you can shoot targets with them. They don't have limbs in heavier hunting weights but that may be a good thing for some.

There are so many good choices in ILF limbs it can be overwhelming. The TradTech limbs that Lancaster sells are great limbs. I have a set of Carbon Extremes and love them. I also have a set of Uukha's, Max1's, WINEX, and another set of TradTech limbs....and probably another set or two if I got to looking.

Buy a nice set of limbs with little to no wait then later on when you get the itch, buy another set. The cool thing about shooting an ILF setup is every now and then you'll clip a set of limbs on a riser and bam, you'll have an awesome performing bow. Like my long Max1's on a 17" Bigfoot riser....I wasn't planning on that setup, I just decided to try it one day and it shoots great. Good luck!

#9 ·
... They don't have limbs in heavier hunting weights but that may be a good thing for some....\
Their top four limbs goes up to 50# (on a 25" riser) and the Hx10 Nature limbs goes up to 75# (on a 19" riser) but they only come in shorts.

#11 ·
Today Lancaster had a 19" Hoyt Satori in stock so I couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger. Now for limbs.... my thoughts here are do I buy a set of Border limbs, zipper Z4's or go with the Satori limbs in either option. The cheaper Satori limbs would be the most affordable option but I want the best I can get my hands on. Are the bamboo cores worth any more than 2 fps over the standard Satori limbs? I have shot wood customs for as long as I have shot. This is my first ILF rig and I'm not against multiple limbs either. I'm looking for a 62" bow that performs and draws smooth at the end of the day. What would y'all do?

I have a 19" Satori on order as well (still showing backordered) along with a set of the Satori limbs. I can chronograph the setup and let you know my impressions when they arrive, if you are interested. I don't yet know when it will arrive, so maybe it won't be soon enough for you.

Also, full disclosure, this will be my first ILF setup as well. I don't have any experience with any of the limbs others have suggested, so I can't compare and contrast with the Satori Limbs. But I can weigh and chrono them, and give you at least some idea what to expect.

#12 · (Edited)
I would not suggest one limb over another, I think its tough to find a bad limb in the high end market. I will post some Uukha speeds and sounds later this evening.

The reality of it all is out of the super high end aggressive deep hook limbs there are only a few fps difference between them. The difference between these top tier limbs is Sound, Feel and Durability. A video or review cant help you with that.

Another thing to consider is how a limb feels on a specific riser. If you can perceive the subtle differences in limbs you will certainly feel a limb*riser interaction. All decent risers can be handled to shoot well but some shoot well naturally. Some risers may make a limb "noodly" The same limbs on another riser feel great.

When a backyard hero Schmuck like myself post a review that is or could be perceived as negative it is costing someone a sale. Don't trust any of us to give a great unbiased review or to suggest a perfect limb for you.

Here is my best crack at unbiased honesty:

Tradtech RC Extreme Limbs are great with a much better price point. These may be RCX re branded. "This is probably the best choice on the market dollar for dollar". Lancaster customer service is solid. If you dont like them or there is a defect send them back. 0 risk

W&W has several great limbs you can always get them used and dip them for hunting. "What I should have done 1st"

Hoyt- Same as above get a top of the line olympic limb used have it dipped and your good to go. "What I should have done 1st"

Uukha- Ill be honest I dont like the marks they develop on ILF rigs. If I were ILF only Id pass due to this or pad the contact point. I will be shooting DAS with them so it wont be a problem for me. If you own a WF-19 it loves X curves and they love the WF back. It is a awesome set up centered around pre load and balance.

There is talk of these not being durable because one guy was posting a pair that looked like they had been run through a wood chipper. Ive dropped mine several times. Banged it on a bow vice.. They are tough as nails. I have also hunted and shot these in -5 temp. They are rock solid.

There has been discussion of a few folks getting a crooked limb. Use LLA, or send it back to Lancaster for a refund or new set. 0 risk

Border 7.5s- Ive shot one pair, they are indeed fast and they expand well. I have not spent time with them to have an opinion. They push the envelope and they innovate. They are growing quickly and this may change Border. Its tough to go from a niche business to big and maintain your innovation and deep level of customer satisfaction. Having said that I assume they are growing for a reason. Ive never read a review or spoke to a owner of Border limbs where they were upset with performance :)... There is a reason why Border is growing.

If you owned a set there is a trad subculture of Border fans. They are like a support group. They can and will help you tune shoot and work with you.

Max4s- I have no idea never shot em but Ive heard great things. If you had a quality issue I am 100% Bob would make it right.

If you were to purchase a set of Max4, Hex 7.5 and Uukha X curves; shoot each set, listen to each set be shot and drop each set out of a tree and drag it through the brush I think it would be easy for you to choose. If you cant afford to do that pay your money take your chances and dance with the girl you brought. Enjoy the journey.. The only certainty is you will spend money.

#16 ·
I saw on Facebook they have a limb that actually loses a half pound per inch from 26 - 28" and then goes up from there. They are just a set of prototypes and not in production any time soon. But getting a limb to actually have let off is incredible.

#17 ·
Wow thanks for all amazing replies guys! I am very grateful. I am curious to know the speeds on the Satori limbs as well so please pass that on if you don't mind

I just looked into the uukha Nature limbs last night as well, seem very reasonably priced but haven't seen much info again on them.

I do hear great things about the trad tech limbs and that's a solid option as well.

I think the Border limbs are more than I want to spend right now on the first set of ILF limbs I try. Have to buy my lady a Satori pretty soon here as well.

I'm really looking into the Z4 limbs at the moment, I really only heard from the guys on trad gang about them but they have nothing but good things to say and they are a "super recurve" for a good price I think.

I'm curious what limbs will perform well on the Satori and what ones will not now.

Let's be honest I am thinking all of these limbs are going to be extremely smooth and fast compared to my wood bows so I'll be impressed regardless.

The speeds and "let off" really intrigue me on the super curves so we will have to see.

I know Hoyt's Satori limbs are weight based on a 21 inch riser. Does this mean at my 19 I'll be shooting 50# limb at 48# without any bolt turning? That's my understanding. Are all the other limbs based on 25 inch risers? That's where this is getting confusing. Is there a standard for riser length to which these are all measured is my real question and does that standard go across the board for say a hunting limb and a uukha target limb?

Thanks again for all the replies guys. I'll be doing some more research here all day again :).

Mike

#18 ·
I know Hoyt's Satori limbs are weight based on a 21 inch riser. Does this mean at my 19 I'll be shooting 50# limb at 48# without any bolt turning? That's my understanding. Are all the other limbs based on 25 inch risers? That's where this is getting confusing. Is there a standard for riser length to which these are all measured is my real question and does that standard go across the board for say a hunting limb and a uukha target limb?

Thanks again for all the replies guys. I'll be doing some more research here all day again :).

Mike

Like you say, Hoyt says the Satori limbs are rated on a 21" riser. I ordered 40# limbs, and I will measure them on my 19" riser when they arrive.

I've seen limbs rated on various length risers. I think at least some Tradtech limbs are rated on a 17" riser, and I think Uukha says the Nature limbs are rated on a 19" riser, while their others are rated on a 25". So it really depends.

#21 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Lancaster had a set of Carbon X Tour traditional limbs with the bamboo and I just ended up ordering them. I hear nothing but amazing things on them. As fast as the borders? Probably not but for nearly the $800 they should be nothing less than the best thing I have ever shot. I'll keep everyone up to date. Thanks again. Excited to shoot it

#23 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Lancaster had a set of Carbon X Tour traditional limbs with the bamboo and I just ended up ordering them. I hear nothing but amazing things on them. As fast as the borders? Probably not but for nearly the $800 they should be nothing less than the best thing I have ever shot. I'll keep everyone up to date. Thanks again. Excited to shoot it

I'm interested in the X-tour bamboo core too. I'm looking forward for your review of those limbs.

#39 ·
My 17" SHOULD be here tomorrow according to the USPS tracking #. I have owned MANY ILF risers and this is the first one I bought new. Im hunting Fred Eicher's place for antelope in August so hopefully I can kill one with it. I am going to put either Dryad Epics or Sky Bamboo limbs on it. For now it will have a set of TT Blackmax 2.0

#41 ·
Well I finally got my limbs and was able to shoot. That dang holiday really made it a challenge. I don't have a strong long enough for the bow so I can't completely say I have any idea how it shoots. I put one on and for the brace height at about the highest recommended and it was very loud but shot awesome. Dead in the hand and a tac driver.

#46 ·
mcarlton84,

There's been talk about how the Satori limbs are rated. What does the sticker say on your limbs and how much do they weigh on your riser?

#47 ·
Hoyt says on their website and manual that they are rated on a 21" riser. I have 45 lb limbs on a 19" riser so my plans were 47 lbs and be able to crank them down to get 50. I however haven't been able to scale them. I'll let you know exact numbers soon but they feel right where they should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.