Trad Talk Forums banner

Hoyt Excel

Tags
excel hoyt
12K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Short Draw 
#1 ·
Just wondering if some of you have the Hoyt Excel, if so could you please post some pics, and general info about your bow. Like poundage, length, length of riser, type of limbs.

If this topic has already been discussed, please lead me in the direction it went.

Thanks Dave

#2 ·
Dave, I don't have any experience with the Excel, but try the "search" feature at the top of your screen. I put in Hoyt Excel and there are a bunch of threads. Maybe you can find the info you're after.

#3 ·
Dave

Also try Archery Talk.
There might be more information there.

Erich

#4 ·
I have one. It is the 23" model. In general I like it. I am using 36# long Win Inno limbs on it, for a 68" bow with a draw weight of about 45# at 31". I use it for 3D.

For a metal riser it is very light. It does not have very good balance without a stabilizer. Mine appears to have been originally painted yellow, then they must have painted over the yellow with red to fill my order. The red paint does not adhere that well and has chipped in several places.

I will try to post some pics when I have time.

Mark

#5 ·
Hey Mark,

Is your bow loud?

I had a 10 year old tell me a couple of weeks ago, "your bow's loud".

It was a little disturbing at first, but I knew it was true. It is loud, Ronin can verify that. It's my 3d only bow so I don't care to much, but if I could get it quieter that would be great.

No matter what I've done... tiller, brace, arrow weight... It sounds like a 22 going off. I have two other sets of limbs that I would like to try, but they are all different sizes, so I need to come up with more strings.

I have noticed that I have a little more play between the limbs and the riser limb pads than I would like, but I just don't know... It's enough to see daylight+, but not enough to put inner tube rubber in. (a great method as far as I'm concerned for quieting my warfs) I wonder if I have one of those combo's that you here about. You know, ILF is supposed to be standard but, every manufacturer makes them a little different. Sometimes you end up with a combo that just isn't right...

My setup is a 23" Excel with long 40# Samick Mizar limbs.

Dave, Mr. Beeler sir... sorry if I hi jack your thread sir... but it sorta fits...
It is Excel info right? ;0)

#7 ·
Hey Mark,

Is your bow loud?

I had a 10 year old tell me a couple of weeks ago, "your bow's loud".

It was a little disturbing at first, but I knew it was true. It is loud, Ronin can verify that. It's my 3d only bow so I don't care to much, but if I could get it quieter that would be great.

No matter what I've done... tiller, brace, arrow weight... It sounds like a 22 going off. I have two other sets of limbs that I would like to try, but they are all different sizes, so I need to come up with more strings.
Benzy -

I would say it is on the loud side. When I originally set it up I used a different set of 36# long innos which were (I think) significantly quieter. The only problem is that they broke after about 100 shots. I got a free replacement set and it took a long time to get them tuned as well as the first set, and I still have not been able to get it to be as quiet.

Of course I am shooting fairly light arrows at a pretty good speed, which probably makes it predisposed to being loud.

Mark

#6 ·
I have the 23" Excel with 45lb Short Hoyt Stratix limbs. I'm using a D97 string and a plunger/flipper rest. If this riser had a radius shelf it would be a diamond to me, being that I prefer to shoot off the shelf. As for my current setup, it is my target bow and it does the job as well as any ILF I've had the pleasure to shoot. My setup is not really what I would call loud, snappy maybe. I thought of this bow as an upgrade over the Dorado and the Gamemaster 2. So far it's proving me right.

#8 ·
I've got the 21" riser and a set of 42lb Winstorm Carbon med limbs that pull about 46lbs on this riser. This is my 3D setup and I really like it. Very smooth and fast. As for noise, I'm using an 18 strand Fast Flight string with cat whiskers and a set of recurve Limbsavers mounted at the end of the fadeouts and it's fairly quiet even shooting light Easton Epic 600s. I've got a set of Sebastien Flute glass foam shorts that pull 48lbs that I'm gonna have dipped and use for hunting. They too are quiet with the same type of string and beaver ball silencers. I use Gold Tip 3555's with them and they are much quieter than the Epics. I use a T-300 hunter rest and a Tradtech shorty plunger now but shot off the shelf most of the 3D season. Made a shelf by shaping a small piece of oak on a belt sander and attaching it with 2-sided tape then covering with calf hair. Worked great and very easy to do. The rest is easier to tune though. I'm no expert by any means, but I really like this bow.

#10 ·
From what I'm reading. We all think the Excel is a good riser, especially for the price. (really good if you pay what Hoyt suggests for a MSRP... ;0) ) It might take the ability to try multiple limbs for the optimum bow though.

Hey Ronin... Fire up the string jig buddy... :0)

#12 ·
Nothing to it. Believe me, if I can do it anyone can. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot. They have lots of small hardwood trim pieces to choose from. I found one that had a radiused edge to it and used the belt sander to finish it to the shape I wanted. I used a 1/2" thick felt furniture pad that I cut in half on the riser. It's just thick enough to get the arrow just where I wanted it. Spent maybe $15 total. The only reason I did it was to shoot that Bow in the Howard Hill Southeastern Classic but ended up shooting a long bow all weekend. Worked great though. Kevin

#13 · (Edited)
Dave, you asked for pics so I will try to post mine. It has the Hoyt short FX limbs making a 62" bow and pulls about 42# at 27 1/2. It is a little screamer and I am quite happy with it. I took first place in our state champ shoot in the senior mens class with this bow. I wish it was a little heavier in mass weight but it still a lot of bang for the buck.

Take a look at the shelf bumb. Just roll up a narrow piece of velcro and then put another strip over the top of it and you have a great cushioned shelf radius for pennies and about 3 minutes time. I have shot that one many hundreds of shots and it is still going strong. I also use the DAS button for center shot adjustment. best , larry

#14 ·
Hey Larry, thanks for the pics. I like that black riser, nice looking bow. Do you know how high of poundage those limbs come in? If I bought one, I was thinking about puting on a cavelier rest.

Thanks again for the pics, preciate it.

Dave

PS, whats the length of that riser?

Thanks again.

#15 ·
Larry Wilhite, that is a very interesting arrow shelf. When you were competing did you shoot in the "off the shelf" class or were flippers and plungers in the same class?

I have a 21" Excel riser with medium limbs. I am hunting with it and it is very quiet. I only have one section of catwhiskers split and cut into four pieces and tied to my string (no limbsavers). I shoot a 12 strand 450 plus flemish and brace pretty high at 8.75".

John

#16 ·
Dave, the black and gray limbs do look great on the black riser. The whole rig looks much better than my pics indicate. My riser is a 21" which works great for my draw. The limbs are older discontinued ones but still do all I could ask of them, smooth and fast with foam core. I would guess that they came up to the forty something range. Mine are 36# on a 25" riser but as the riser gets shorter the poundage goes up.

John, I was definately shooting in the "off the shelf" class. That is all our state club will allow. When using velcro this way, you can make it a little flatter, or higher, or wider or more narrow. It is easy, cheap and works near perfect. I do have a Loech grip on my Excel which I took off my Nexus. I have more expensive bows with more adjustments but when I just want to have fun shooting, I grab the Excel. best, larry

#17 ·
still dont have any pics of my 23 excel and have only done a bit of tuning.

i have tried a bunch of different limbs and the bow is good and quiet with most of them. dont know whats making your guys bows loud. have you tried playing with the tiller? it can make a big difference when you get the limbs timing correctly.

12 strand 452 string.
im actually switching back to flemish strings as they seem to be a lot more quiet and dont buzz as much at the contact points on the recurve. the serving on endless string creates a bunch of little hills and valleys that can make a lot of noise when they vibrate on the limb at brace ht. i suppose i could use some softer nylon serving but it doesnt seem to last as long.
once the 452 is broke in it doesnt move.

tiller bolts are in the mid-range.

lower brace hts seems to be more quiet.

for sure, some of the limbs shoot the most quiet at 7.5". i know that seems a bit low but the limbs are quiet there.

fuzzy side velcro works good for some extra padding/noise reduction in the limb pocket and stuck on the back of the limbs where they contact the tiller bolts. im experimenting with some thick nylon material too--no glue or sticky, just cutting to shape and letting the limb hold it in place.

larry, a spongy/cushiony strike plate is a good thing and can act kinda like a plunger. i wouldnt want the actual shelf/bump springy though. whatever works for you but if you can move that shelf its the same as moving your nocking point..:2cents:

#18 · (Edited)
I'm currently shooting a 21in Excel with 32# long Samick Universal carbon/wood limbs. With the limb bolts maxed out I'm getting 42#@29in.

My brace height is 8.75 as Hoyts manual recommends 8.5-9in (if I remember correctly) brace height for a 66in recurve. I have an 16 strand endless loop fast flight string from Cartel.

For silencing, I just have an STS installed from the front stabilizer mounting. I sometimes use a Sims modular stabilizer, although I not sure if it has any benefit in the noise department as I don't find the bow noisy. The STS does a good job of that by itself. Before the STS I think the stabilizer did have a noticeable effect on bow noise (a duller thump).

I shoot 3 fingers under as its more consistent for me but it does make a little noise (from my spigarelli zero tolerance flipper rest). This noise is the same for all my arrows (325gr to 440gr) so it is probably my release that causes it and not the bow.
I don't hunt so this is not a biggie for me. If I did hunt, I would probably use a different rest anyway.

However, I find when shooting shooting split finger the bow is silent even with my light 325gr arrows.

#19 ·
Nice outfit Larry.
Good to know the limbs are working for you.
Finally got the red riser fixed. What a job that was.

Good shooting.

Erich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.