Trad Talk Forums banner

American 900 Round

35K views 99 replies 28 participants last post by  rsarns 
#1 · (Edited)
This is NFAA's version of "target archery". It is 30 arrows shot at 60 yards in 5 ends of 6 arrows each. Then 30 arrows at 50 yards, again 5 ends of 6 arrows. Finally, 30 arrows at 40 yards, as above.

Target is the multi-colored 122cm face (NAA/FITA) that takes at least a 48" target butt. Scoring is 10 & 9 for the Gold, 8 & 7 for the Red, 6 & 5 for the Blue, 4 & 3 for the Black and 2 & 1 for the White. Possible for each distance is 300, total is 900 - hence the name "900 Round".

For those of you who have bows in the 45# and under range this can be quite fun. I've watched a couple people try it with hunting weight bows (50# and up) and by the time they get to 40 yards (that's after 60 shots) their form and technique is awful.

There is also the FITA 900 which is virtually the same course of fire but done in meters instead of yards. That works out to be just about exactly 10% further for each distance.

If anyone is interested in either the American 900 or the FITA 900, lets start posting scores here. I'm shooting the American version tomorrow as part of the AZ Police Olympics. I'll put up my results when I'm done.

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
It's gonna be lonely here (LOL)!

When I started the 28 Target Field course thread I thought I was a voice crying in the wilderness but this one is probably gonna be worse (smiley face goes here).

In the faint hope it will intice some of you to try it, I shot the American 900 today in the Arizona Police Olympics and shot a 704. Close to my personal best of 708 but too many slopy releases (shooting a couple in the gold then seeing the next one go into the 3 or 4 ring is depressing - LOL).

Shot next to Biblethumpincop (Olympic Recurve) and enjoyed his company a great deal. He shot in the 770s (sorry John, don't remember the exact number). Gusty winds for the 40 yard part made both of us scatter some arrows - along with my goofy release...

This stuff is fun guys and like field archery it will make you a better archer, at 3D, hunting and everything else you try.

Dave

#3 ·
let there be more 900 rounds

Dave I have the Fl State Senior Games State Record at 668 that was done in a 26 mph cross wind with gusts to 38mph. my best was 728 but only the state shoot counts for the books. My norm seems to be about 700-711. I love 900 rounds :highfive:

#6 ·
one more thing do ya get any warm up rounds?? At what distance or one end at each or ????

Sorry for the stupid ???,s I,ve never seen this round before let alone shot it.
I used ta shoot field archery a long time ago with the other kind of bow

#7 ·
900 Round.

1. Round consists of 90 arrows. 30 shot at 60 yards, 30 shot at 50 yards and 30 shot at 40 yards (Youth shoot 50, 40, and 30), (Cubs shoot 30, 20, 10) and (PeeWee shoot 20, 15, 10)
2. Archers shoot at a 122 cm multicolor face with a gold center, followed by red, blue, black and white rings. The target is scored 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1.
3. Archers shoot 6 arrows per end. Five ends at each distance.

we in FL get one end for Practice that doesn’t count at 60yds at the start
:shooting:

#8 ·
Swamp,

The one thing Van left out is that 122cm target translates to rooughly 48". At the target range I occasionally frequent they put them on 52" Whitetail foam target mats.

In the Senior Olympics, where I've shot this round the most often, they usually give you two warm-up ends (6 arrows each end) at 60 yards. I think they operate on the theory that you have practiced and know where to shoot, but need to limber up the old joints a little (remember I said senior olympics - LOL).

Unless you know of a target shooting club around your area, you will probably have to order one or two of these targets. I got some from Lancaster Archery and practiced the 40 yard part in my back yard/patio before the previously mentioned senior olympics.

Dave

#10 ·
I remember a couple of years ago our archery club (CTAS) set-up a 900 round and by the time I got done shooting it I had lost my form and shot some disappointing rounds on the next 3, 3D courses that day. I'll never shoot that round before a 3D competition again ;)

Last year I won it with a score somewhere between 650 and 700. Some of you guys would just spank me with scores in the 700's.

By the time I'm done shooting that round I have pulled back about 6,210lbs. That shoot is a work-out but it's also a lot of fun ;)

Ray ;)

#11 ·
You're a better man than me!

Ray, I just can't pull the kind of pounds you do. My shoulders would never last if I tried.

I know your interest in archery is different than mine so don't take this wrong, but if you want to shoot 90 arrows and not loose your form, get a lighter bow. Honest, it won't hurt (LOL).

Dave

#12 ·
DA,

I definitely agree...a lighter bow would be easier ;) but that first time I shot it I had already worked my upper body out in the gym earlier that day.

I think I have the perfect bow for that now...it's a 60lbs. DAS that feels like 50lbs. but shoots like a 70lbs. bow ;)

Ray ;)

#13 ·
The Metric Version

No one else seems to be doing much here but I'm going to plunge ahead in the faint hope that it might inspire or encourage someone to get involved in this. I really think you will like it if you give it a try.

Anyway, the FITA 900 is exactly the same as the American except it is in meters, which translates to about a 10% increas in distance (60 meters is 66 yards, etc.). The local FITA club I recently joined is having an FITA 900 on May 14th. I just got my first batch of "good" arrows (Easton Navigators) and needed to try them at 60, 50 & 40 meters before the 14th so I went to their Saturday practice session.

Managed to shoot a practice 900 round and surprised myself. My previous best on the FITA 900 was 653. Today I shot a 720. No match pressure of course, but I was still impressed with how much better I shot with those little skinney arrows. Guess those Olympic types may know something about what equipment works best and how to shoot a recurve (smiley face goes here).

Dave

#14 ·
Indever to Perservere

As further proof that "practice" is not the same as a "match" I shot the FITA 900 today in a tournament setting (Papago FITA Archer's Spring Claissic). My previous best, as earlier reported was 653. After shooting a 720 in practice I had high hopes of at least breaking 700 today. How quickly we are humbled (LOL). Best I could do was a 687. Got to stop tossing the occasional arrow way out of the group. That must have cost me 20-25 points over the course of shooting 90 arrows. Oh well, just have to work harder.

Dave

#15 ·
Thats still good shootin DA and I know all to well about doing good in practice and not up to the norm when it counts LOL Not sure about you but I get more worked up in that type of situation then if a deer was in front of me.Don,t get me wrong I get the shakes with deer but it,s genrally right after the shot

#16 ·
No one else seems to be doing much here but I'm going to plunge ahead in the faint hope that it might inspire or encourage someone to get involved in this. I really think you will like it if you give it a try.

Dave,

Keep plunging. I'm interested, and hope to give it a try this summer.

Mike

#18 ·
Rod,

The size looks about right and the correct number of scoring rings are there, but you got the colors all screwed up (LOL). Maybe that's why the bear has his back to it (LOL again).

Just so folks don't go to the archery shop and try to buy that color combination...from the center out it's Gold, Red, Blue, Black and White. Each color is divided into two scoring rings.

Nice picture and range anyway, Rod. I'm envious your setup!

Dave

#20 ·
Rod,

No offense intended. If they are about 48" across they are the right size and have the right number of scoring rings. You could sure use them for practice. I was just afraid if someone went out to buy targets and didn't find that color combination they would think they didn't have the right ones.

Go ahead and shoot a 900 round on your target and post the score. You can't possibly be any worse than I was the first time (LOL).

Dave

#21 ·
My only experience shooting the American Round has been at the NAA Traditional Nationals the last several years. My personal best was only a 491. However, my excuse is that it was with a 52# longbow, wood arrows, and after having shot the Clout, and on the day after having shot the York Round (144 arrows). I was exhausted. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. By the way, when we shoot the American Round at the Trad Nationals, the scoring is 9,7,5,3,1.

#24 ·
Not sure when I will get to shoot a 900 round. I was invited to go to one out of town on 6/5 but that is my girlfriends birthday number 1 and number 2 there is a 3D shoot alot closer.

The Senior Olympics is later in June but I wont be 50 until September so I will miss that. I have offered to loan my bow to an older recurve shooter (friend) so that he can use it in the Olympics. I will probably go and just watch and spot for him.

Hank

#25 ·
Come on Hank, which would you rather do - shoot 20 or 30 arrows at some foam or try something new and challenging and shoot 90 arrows at a huge colorful target? (LOL) Take your girlfriend with you and buy her dinner on the way home. Make a day of it!

Smiley face goes here, Dave

#26 ·
Its a 40 target 3D course 30 miles away and I don't think my girlfriend wants to ride with me 1.5 hours and watch me shoot 90 arrows, then drive back.

Its HER birthday -- lol

Hank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.