Trad Talk Forums banner

fast flight vs. flemish dacron

19K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  tippit 
#1 ·
Would somebody care to fill me in on the differences?ive bern a compound guy for almost 18 years and im just now getting into traditional. What are the pros and coms of each and which do you prefer and why?

#2 ·
The main diffrenece IMO is the fact that Dacron will streach in time with use whereas FF strings will not at least not as quickly. Dacron is also slower natch why would the other be call fast flight?
If you're shooting an older bow (I'm fuzzy on the cut-off date) but I would guess anybow made before the mid eighties should use a B-50 Dacron as the FF string will likely damage the bow in some way if not destroy it.
Frankly other than what I've stated I know of no other diffrences perhaps others more educated than I in this disipline can expand on the answer to your question.

#3 ·
On any Bow that can take it??? I use D-97!!! The performance and benefits are many!!!!! Dacron stretches, Boinggsssssssss WHEN YOU SHOOT it, and is way behind in performance. I ask once "Why not just use Dacron?" on my Bows. Bob Gordon replied,,"Why????????" lol. Answer enough for me!! D-97 when it's safe to do so,,,and never look back.:cheers:

#4 ·
A Flemish string can be made from Dacron or Fast Flight type materials. Flemish strings are made from 2 or 3 bundles that are twisted and spliced together to for the string. Here's a great site that shows how they are made.

The other type of string is an endless loop. They can be made from Dacron or FF material. They consist of a single strand that loops back and forth with the loops held in place with serving.

Once a string has settled in it should hold it's length regardless of material from which it is made. Dacron will stretch during a shot much as a rubber band will stretch and then return to it's prior length. FF materials do not stretch during the shot. If they do stretch and fail to return to their prior length it is called creep.

I prefer Flemish strings because I like the way they look and I enjoy making them. I use Dacron on my older bows and UltaCam for my newer bows that are built with reinforced tips.

Endless loop strings are great performers too. I believe they are easier to construct in a consistent fashion.

#5 ·
FF is quieter when recorded. I think it more stable. Requires less strands and is faster. I have only made D97 strings for a couple of years but I'm fixing to change over to a newer material soon. We will see how it compares. All that I've read and inquired about it tells me it will be even better.

Older bows without tips reinforced should use the Dacron to keep them from splitting or breaking.

#6 ·
I like DF-97 (FF) also and have used it on all my bows for years. Including every vintage bow I've ever owned including Bears, Martins, and Hoyt target models. I even use it on two self bows I own.

Not one bow has shown any sign of damage. One old Damon Hunter I have has been shot for over 10 years with FF string. It has simple wooden tip overlays and they are fine today.

I have heard of bow damage from FF on the internet but have never witnessed it. I tend to think a static number of bows break every year and should an owner break a bow and happen to be using FF string, well he blames the FF string. He goes on the web and advises against FF string. Afterall, his bow broke using it.

Well I've had two bows break on me over the years - one Martin Super Diablo and a Bear Super Kodiak. Both bows were wearing Dacron strings at the time.

A guy could make the argument that Dacron strings ruin bows. Heck, I'd believe him too. I've seen it in person.

All of which to say, I don't think FF hurts any bow of any time period.

#7 ·
Dacron is slower and stretches so constantly checking string height. It is a must on older non reinforced tipped recurves. Everything else even my selfbows I use/make flemish 450+ strings...a thicker non stretch material like FF. I can't remember wearing one out. I will occasionally make a D97 on some newer recurves though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.