Trad Talk Forums banner

New Easton Carbon One Arrows

Tags
carbon easton
14K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Short Draw 
#1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a dozen Easton Carbon One arrows in a 660 spine to replace my beloved Easton Redlines 690, which are no longer being sold. The Carbon One arrows were $110 from Lancaster Archery, which is about $20 more than the Redlines they're replacing. They take Pin Nocks at $15/doz instead of the G Nocks at $7/doz whiich Redlines used. The Pin Nocks also require purchasing the matching pins $12/doz. The stainless break-off points are $20/doz. vs. $17 for Redline Nibbs. Altogether the cost of a dozen Carbon Ones before fletching is about $157 before shipping & handling, whereas the comparable Redlines with Nibbs were about $115. Now what do you get for your $157. I first tested them for spine on my admittedly imprecise Adams spine tester. When spined at 26" on the Adams, 10 of 12 spined at precisely 46#. The other two spined at 46.5#. When I weighed the dozen shafts on my grain scale I found that all dozen weighed within 1.8grs of each other, which is what Easton claims (+/-1gr). Actually, when I toss out the highest weighted shaft and the lowest, the variation is only .7gr. And unfortunately, I didn't weigh them until after I'd already installed the pins and nocks, so there's no telling how much closer in weight they might have been without those components installed. Finally I spin tested each shaft on my Grayling arrow straightener to determine straightness. Easton advertises these shafts as being +/-.003" sraight. What I found was that they were all much better at +/-.0015" straight. Appearance wise the shafts are much more attractive in the hand than pictured on the Easton site. They resembly the Navigator shaft in both finish and cosmetics. They are slightly skinnier (.233") than my Redlines, which is good for FITA and Field/Hunter. The weight for the 660 Carbon Ones is 6.6gr/in. vs 6.3gr/in. for the 690 Redlines. Are they worth the additional $42 over the cost of Redlines? Only time will tell after proper tuning and some shooting. But if you want to stay with the Easton family of products and want a tournament arrow that won't break the bank the way ACE or X10 do, this represents a reasonable alternative.

See less See more
#2 ·
The problem is that Carbon One only comes in the softer shaft spines:

600, 660, 730, 810, 900, 1000, 1150

Redlines covered a much broader spine range -- especially at the stiff end:

360, 410, 460, 520, 600, 690, 780, 900, 1000

I shoot barebow recurve using full length Redline 460 for practice and learning field arrows. I bought an extra dozen once I found out they were being discontinued. I have 430 Navigators for competition.

#3 ·
check out carbon express medallions.

about the same price done up.

i dont know what the outside diameter mics at but they are light in wt and advertised as small diameter.

i looked at these a few years ago and they didnt seem to have the polish of redlines.

thanks for the info!

#12 ·
Just bought 24 Energy 460s from Lancaster. They are still being sold.

Erich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.