Trad Talk Forums banner

Who's Shooting What 2014?

Tags
2014 shooting
4K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Danceswithleaves 
#1 ·
I plan on attending 6 Tourneys this upcoming year. Vegas, IBO West Coast Trads, Redding, IBO Trad Worlds and both Yankton events.

Who is shooting these events and, in what classes?

I'd like to be where the action is.

Preparation time is dwindling!

#2 ·
I hope to shoot Yankton (Barebow Rec) but 3 weeks afterwards the WA3D Europeans is on and I'm building the 5 x 3D courses, so Yankton will really depend on how many helpers I get to prep the 3D courses, 3 weeks should be enough.

Katrin already told me she wont go to Yankton as she is the Project Manager for the whole WA tourney and she feels it's too much to do for her.

#3 ·
Current plan is Vegas, Louisville, West Coast IBO, Redding, IBO Trad worlds, I am up in the air about the Yankton shoots. It's a PITA to fly to and it is too far to drive.

I'll shoot the NFAA stuff Trad and the IBO stuff RU, Vegas I'll shoot barebow.

#8 ·
Not exactly sure yet. But leaning towards IBO Trad Worlds, and at least one IBO triple crown event, Cleveland Indoor Nationals, IBO worlds, NFAA Louisville. On the fun side, definitely ETAR Denton Hill and maybe Baltimore.

Waiting to see how my new Longbow project works out. If I get a satisfactory tune with wood shafts I will shoot Longbow. If i struggle with this again I am leaning towards Trad.

#15 ·
I hear good things about Denton but it's crowded and expensive isn't it? now Free
John, Denton Hill is a blast. First its a smorgasbord of vendors, bowyers, blanket sales. There is primitive camping or fairly cheap motels nearby. It starts on a Thursday and goes until Sunday afternoon, and for under $40 you can shoot something like 9 different courses until you drop. The only expensive thing in the actual shoot is the food, but I packed a cooler. Lots of people, but its alot of fun. I've gone the past couple of years and met alot of friendly folks. Personally, if I could only do one event a year this is it. Stress free, no score keeping, shooting with your buddies all weekend.

#10 ·
Ca.State Indoor,Vegas,Woodlake Broken arrow,West coast IBO,Fresno Safari,Redding,Ca. State Broad Championships,World Bowhunter team Nevada city,Ca. State Field,World IBO Trad's, NFAA outdoor and IFAA outdoor Yankton. and some smaller local stuff. I better get to fletching

#11 ·
Right now I'm planning on the following:

IBO Indoor World (possible) in RU

IBO Traditional World in RU

IBO state championship in RU

WFAC in Recurve Barebow

FITA state indoor and outdoor championships in both Recurve and Barebow classes

NFAA state indoor and field championships in Barebow

NFAA state outdoor championship in either Barebow or Traditional (both if they'll let me)

NFAA great lakes indoor sectionals in barebow

Miscellaneous local stuff in whatever class they want to put me

#13 · (Edited)
Not quite sure were the heck Orestimba is...LOL Its 12-13 hours to Redding, and that's way north in Californiastan.... :) I know its close to Alan's so figure another 5/6 hours (guess here)? Distance is one issue, getting the wife to ok it is another issue... throw in 9 State championships, 2 weeks in Yankton, the other ones I listed already... LOL it probably wouldn't be pretty. My State shoots most are at least 4 hours travel and a full weekend away.... LOL Just found it... 950 miles one way....

#14 ·
NONE !!! After spending $400+ and driving 600 kilometres each way to Kalgoorlie to compete, only to be given incorrect scoring instructions by the Zone Controller (no.1 person in our state) which rendered our scores inelligable for grading, our group was effectivelly wiped out ! Also we have ongoing major course safety issues. Just not worth it anymore. :mad:

#21 ·
As of right now
Vegas in barebow,
Louisville in trad
Eagle lake in barebow
West coast IBO in RU
Maybe Yankton probably trad
Naa and nfaa state indoors barebow and trad
Redding not sure what style
Nevada city world bowhunter team probably barebow
Trad worlds if my travel fund, and my boss will allow time off by that time

#24 ·
With a new baby in the house, I'm not going anywhere. I've already had to give up my usual twice a week range trips to help my wife care for the little guy. I'll probably go to my club's annual trad shoot in June. One thing's for sure, once my son gets old enough, I'll be taking him with me to a bunch of shoots!

#25 ·
Jsan
From the time I was 17 until I was 27 I competed at every level the NFAA had to offer at the time. Then I got married and started a family. I didn't pick up a bow again for 30 years. I never made much money so I spent most of my working life working two and sometimes three jobs. I didn't have time for hobbies of any sort, or vacations for that matter. I don't think I flew on a plane until I was in my late 50's.

I missed alot, but I wouldn't change a thing, my children are all succesful, productive members of society with professional careers, they all graduated college, paid for by my wife and me, without any loans or help from anyone.

My point in all this, is this: Your family is WAY more important than any archery tournament. Not even close.

#26 ·
I completely agree. It is difficult suddenly changing the carefree lifestyle I once had, being able to just run to the range or take off a weekend for a shoot. Now everything must be planned out - either bringing the little guy or arranging for the grandparents to watch him for a while. I've been fortunate to have a good career in running my own practice, which gives me a lot of freedom for my family. My wife is adamant about having a daughter so there will likely be another baby in the next few years. She also shoots so I hope we can all spend some quality family time on the range in the near future.

#27 ·
Let me see, I think I will go to these this year.
IBO Indoor Worlds
TBOF Fl. ( maybe)
IBO at Chester Tx.
IBO Winter Nats.
NFAA Indoor Nats.
Vanderpool Tx
IBO 1st Leg Bedford
Tx. Longbow Champs. ( maybe)
IBO 2nd Leg Erie
IBO 3rd Leg Columbus Oh
IBO Trad Worlds
Denton Hill (maybe)
IBO Open Worlds NY
Hawkeye Ny
All Local shoots I have time for but that's it !
Cal

#28 ·
My plans so far…….

IBO Indoor Worlds
IBO National Triple Crown (all 3)
IBO Trad Worlds

A few traditional rendezvous`s, and

as many local shoots as I can get to…….starting tomorrow morning. (I know, it is not 2014 yet, but I like to shoot) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.