Trad Talk Forums banner

Used ILF bow - what's the first things to check/confirm?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  JCBinWV 
#1 ·
So a newbie to ILF guy (like me) acquires a used riser that appears to be in great shape. After you're finished drooling over the new item - what things do you check/inspect to make sure the riser is ok to mount limbs and string up into a bow?

thanks.
jc

#2 ·
Just that no threads are stripped and that it can align the limbs you have.

#3 ·
Some of the old Hoyt Avalons were prone to crack, same with PSE universals and others. Buy a good quality well-known riser of good performance and history and do an internet search on it and run forums to ask about that particular riser.

Look first at the fittings and see if they are in good shape and not contorted or bent.

Buy from a well-known seller or better yet buy a new one and check to see if it will be suited for holding the amount of poundage yu want to shoot. Some new cheaper risers will not hold over 40 pounds.

#5 ·
Read the instructions.
Learn how to correctly adjusted the limb bolts before just turning them and possibly damaging any threads.
Ask, read about how others have theirs setup so you'll have an idea if the riser prefers bolts in, bolts out, etc...
If all looks good throw a set of limbs on and see what you have for tiller, alignment and brace height. Then the fun begins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Riser - check.
Limbs - check.
Arrows - check.
String............... DOH! Knew I forgot something!! lol

Seriously, I've downloaded the Gillo G1 manual and have that handy for when the riser gets here next week. I do need to get a string though....

ILF limbs seem to have different profiles - i assume the limb manufacturer takes that into consideration and a "medium" from company "A" would use the same length string as a "medium" from company "B" (on the same 25" riser to make a 68" AMO recurve) - so a 64" string, correct?

or do the limb manufacturers suggest the string length and you go by that?

So much easier buying a 1pc longbow that comes w/ a string! Measure that, order a new one!! :)

I'm probably over thinking this like I do everything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.