Trad Talk Forums banner

No pain no gain?

Tags
gain pain
3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Nance 
#1 ·
But how much pain is okay? I started shooting my longbow regularly for short periods of time. To get used to the draw weight. After shooting it my back muscles ache, but my arm muscles don't. So I guess that's a good sign.

I also feel the bony tips of my shoulders ache. Where the tendons are attached. How bad is this? They hurt when I pull my shoulders back.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-C115 met Tapatalk

#3 ·
Also, if your bow is doing that to you, you are overbowed. It is ideal to have a bunch of bow weights, some of which push your raw strength, but those bows are not your shooters, or you could maybe shoot them a few shots a day with control, but certainly not a lot.

#4 ·
I have been shooting it comfortably this summer. But I've started on a form with a lot less movement than in clout shooting. And I've only shot my 30# bow all autumn and winter season.
Maybe I'm just overdoing it?

I may have to clarify. It's not an: oh my G, my shoulders are falling off! kind of pain. It's also not a bone ache. :D

Any training tips are welcome too.

I know I'm overbowed at the moment. This is the bow I got from Phil and I really want to learn to shoot it. I have considered having it reduced but I'm scared to hand it over to a different bowyer than Pip.

#5 ·
I have been shooting it comfortably this summer. But I've started on a form with a lot less movement than in clout shooting. And I've only shot my 30# bow all autumn and winter season.
Maybe I'm just overdoing it?

I may have to clarify. It's not an: oh my G, my shoulders are falling off! kind of pain. It's also not a bone ache. :D

Any training tips are welcome too.

I know I'm overbowed at the moment. This is the bow I got from Phil and I really want to learn to shoot it. I have considered having it reduced but I'm scared to hand it over to a different bowyer than Pip.

Nance -

I find that 3/4 of an hour thorough stretching, before I draw a bow, does my manifests aches & pains wonder !

Without it . . . . I am fit for the scrap heap . . .

Regards,

John

Reactions: Nance
#6 ·
I would take 7 days off completely, and then do what every you are doing on alternate days. If your still hurting after 24 hours of rest , then it might be more than muscles.
I'm pretty big on doorway stretches right now.

Thats how I try and approach not getting hurt. As with everything YMMV and TMAINUIA (Take My Advice, Im Not Using It Anyway).

#7 ·
Thank you bark eater. I think I might have been a tad too enthusiastic haha. And the: oh it's going great... just one more arrow, I swear.... is also something to watch out for.

Alternating days may be a great solution as is stretching. I do exercise before shooting, but probably not enough.
I have a clout shoot on Saturday and I'm looking forward to it so much. So I'm going to stop for now and hopefully be painless on Saturday. After that the range has a two week stop because of carnaval.

When using the 'rolling motion' when drawing this bow I have less trouble with it.

#8 ·
I have been shooting light bows and I still beat up after practicing. I have not shot in almost two weeks because I got sick and was teaching climbing last weekend. I have to see how it feels this weekend. I am hoping that the rest pays off. It did not help that I shot 66 field targets a couple of weekends ago.

#10 ·
I would also lay off for a few days. Then use your bow as an excerise tool by drawing to anchor and relaxing part way, hold say 5sec., relax a little more and repeat hold. Do this a few times every other day to start. Do BOTH arms, both arms and their back muscles need strength. As you get stronger you will hold longer and do more reps. I learned this years ago from a VHS made by Price Albert. He was a body builder besides an archer.

Another simple excerise is old fashion push-ups. When I was a lot younger I shot 80# bows. I would do sets of push-ups in the morning and at bedtime to maintain and build muscle.

#11 ·
One thing I've noticed from shooting a 15lb bow, is that its easy on the back to shoot 60+ shots but my rotator cuffs still feel like I was pulling 30lbs. I figure with the bow arm at least I'm doing about the same amount of "work" holding a bow steady. I'm started messing around with Indian clubs so that's probably part of it..

#18 ·
I use both arms as well. I found that my muscle ache was the same on both sides so I use my body symmetrically.

There's something I noticed during the day that suddenly makes sense. I have two daughters 3-5 and my youngest is still in a stroller when I quickly walk the oldest to school. It's old and needs to be replaced, but she'll grow out of it in a year. So I just keep using this one. I found that I have to steer it heavily and while I don't FEEL it when I walk it, the end result is felt in the shoulders. In particular the bursa.
I've stopped carrying the girls around even though I'm strong enough to do so comfortably. I just need to stop lifting the youngest throughout the day. On the toilet, on the bed etc. It's not high, but it is lifting.

And Pip Bickerstaffe has agreed, he actually suggested it, to coach me next month. I'm so excited! Haha

It will be hard work, but very worth it.

#15 ·

Saturday, I woke up with back pains after not shooting for three days. But after the day of clout shooting, all my pains were gone. I guess stress about my shoulders made my muscles seize up. I shot my 30# bow and played around with the 45# bow. My husband and I have decided to get another lighter longbow for allround shooting and keep the heavier bow for playing outside. Having it reduced just doesn't feel right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.