Trad Talk Forums banner

New covert hunter, working through setup

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  BassBoysLLP 
#1 ·
After returning home from a work trip, I had a present waiting for me. I've read so much about the covert hunters, and had high expectations, but wow it still blew me away once I had my hands on it. Between the craftsmanship and the feel of the hex 7.5 I'm hooked.

Truly does seem like the ultimate do it all hunting bow for me. Here's the specs:

21" phenolic riser
52#@31"
Xl limbs, camo finish

Pic attached. I'll take some more later, I was too excited to shoot it to take more...

Built up a string for it and did a preliminary set-up last night. Shot maybe a dozen arrows through it this morning. Arrows shot ok, bare shafts quite a bit weak, but not horrible. I had 350 grains in front of a 250 spine black eagle x impact. Plenty of room to drop some point weight. Arrow is about 675 grains for now.

To those with more border experience, I have a question about getting the centershot tuned.

I'm pretty sure the ch is cut 5/16" past center. The x-impacts are .240" in diameter.

That should mean I'd need to have a strike plate 0.1925" thick to get the micro diameter arrow dead center. But by eyeball, a strike plate that thick seems to put the tip of the arrow waaaay to the left of the string.

Am I missing something here? Of all the pictures I've seen, I haven't seen anybody with a strike plate that thick. Or even as thick as it would appear to need for a standard diameter arrow.

I just used some layers of cordovan for now, but may switch to Velcro or hair on the shelf.

Thanks all

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a hard time viewing the centershot. I ordered a 3ft piece of hex stock from McMaster Carr and cut (2) 12" pieces from it and stick them in the limb bolts(on my ILF CH). I run a string around both and see if the arrow is between them, or pushing to one side or the other. Wasnt my idea, got it off one of the guys on here. It worked great, but then actual shooting had me building out the shelf anyway.
Nice bow, congrats.

#3 ·
Congratulations on your CH, they are addictive indeed!
I shoot mine dead center shot. With Victory VAP's all I use is a thin piece of Velcro or leather. Check out Jinkster's recent posts on his CH, he described the hex-rubber band model in detail.
Enjoy your Border, you're "hooked"

#4 ·
Congratulations on the new bow. I have owned 7 different Covert Hunter risers Ilf and bolt down. I can tell you with certainty that you need to tune for centershot. I can also tell you that I have found there is no exact recipe for strike plate thickness, been down that road. Because much of the shaping and final sanding is done by hand there are slight variations in window cutout and limb alignment. Imho I have found that eyeballing centershot is the best method. Good luck on your journey, they are truly fantastic bows.

#6 ·
Tartan...your numbers are correct but you certainly don't need to carry it out 4 places beyond decimal! You're worse than me! :lol: ;)

My arrows are .290 in diameter which gives me...

.312-.145 for a strike plate thickness of .167"

But mine is actually .170" thick...leather wears! LOL! ;)

#9 ·
Thanks all, getting closer after some more time tonight.

Did try the Allen key test, and double checked it with the eye test. They matched up for me. Needed just about .08" for centershot. Made a new one that came out at .088. I'll have to send Sid an email to see if he can confirm. Those numbers put it a little past 3/16. I don't really care either way, just want to make sure it's set up optimally.

Shooting better than this morning. Dropped down to 275 grains in point weight. Shooting just a little nock high but impacts were good at 20 yards.

Haven't put a quiver on it yet, so I'll wait on worrying about a final tune till I do.

#10 ·
Despite the arrows used, dead center is the way to go on centershot.
Don't be surprised if you get a high nock point, especially shooting three under.
Try setting up without silencers to get a good idea on tune via sound.
And if you still get that vibration, Mountain Muffler string in 8190 flemish.
Keep us posted.
I am still on the list with just over 8 weeks to go on my new riser.

#11 ·
looking good for an initial tune. Had a second fletched arrow, but the outsert came loose on me.

another thought, anybody using a limb clicker on a set of hex 7+ limbs? can't recall I've seen any.

I've been playing with one for the last couple of months. Not trying to cure any TP (probably just jinxed myself) but it has helped a lot with consistency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.