Trad Talk Forums banner

Non-micro 45 (smile)

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Sam Dunham 
#1 ·
Just finished the first 150 rounds through my Obama gun. By that I mean the gun I bought before Obama and his Attorney General start banning stuff.

It is another Glock, this one is what's called the California version of the G21SF. Unlike the other G21SF the Cal model has the standard mag release and the original Glock rail instead of the Picitinney (sp?) rail. I have too many holsters for the old G21 to go and buy a new holster for just one gun and, I learned to release the magazine with my index finger when it's in my left hand so no need for an ambi mag release which comes standard on the SF.

Put a KKM cut rifled barrel in it so I can shoot cast bullets. Will probably do sights after a while as the factory plastic front is prone to getting busted. There's some other stuff I learned in Glock Armorer's School I may do trigger wise. These future modifications are simple drop in parts and can wait until my carpal tunnel surgery is over and past. Can't shoot until then, except weak hand, unsupported. Not my strongest handgun skill (LOL). Speaking of handgun skill, this carpal tunnel syndrome is playing hell with my trigger control. Dang, I shot terrible today (still LOL).

I started handguning with revolvers but when I got off probation as a young deputy I qualified to carry a 1911 45 ACP. That was my weapon of choice (in one model or other) all through my badge carrying days and most of my years running a firearms training business. I only got into Glocks because I saw so many in my classes I figured I better know something about them. They have no soul or grace, rather they are ugly but totally functional tools. That in itself is what recommends them to me. Since I am no longer competing with handguns and don't shoot anything like I used to (averaged 10,000 rounds a year just in 45 ACP) the Glock has a lot to recommend it. You don't have to pay much attention to them and still they always work. Heck, the wife put her Kimber Stainless Covert Compact in the safe and carries 16 rounds of silly millimeter in a Glock 19. (smile)

Dave

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Those Glocks are a very simple, cost effective, practical tool. Little miracles of reliable function. Something that should well appeal to me but for my inate aversion to all things plastic. I love to love my guns....;)

#3 ·
When Glocks first came out, I remember being appalled at the thought of plastic in a pistol, and swore I'd never own one. I own 3 now....:rolleyes:
While they lack alot of the niceties we all appreciate, they do have a simple, utilitarian charm that eventually won me over (once I got used to the trigger). My 1911's and Hi-Powers aren't going anywhere, but they have become safe queens the last few years.

#4 ·
I understand where you're coming from Bo. For 25 years I carried nothing but 1911 of one model or another. Closest I got to plastic was the factory grip panels on a pre-1970 Light Weight Commander (smile). I was drug kicking and screaming into the Glock tent. They are ugly and have no soul. My wife has a t-shirt that pretty well sums it up:

This is my Glock. There are many others like it but this one is mine!

I found myself reluctant to continue carrying my customized, no longer made Colt Government Models and Commanders (all pre MK-IV and Series 80 stuff). I didn't want anything to happen to them. When I started carrying a Glock (1998 after carpal tunnel surgery - couldn't manipulate the thumb safety consistently) I didn't much care what happened to it. I could always go get another just like it. They don't rust, don't malfunction and don't cost much...oh, and they don't need a custom gunsmith to set up or keep running. Dang things just work.

Dave

#5 ·
DA, I didn't know that there was an after market barrel for a Glock that would handle lead... that's good, because i like to shoot lead, and has been the main reason I've never cared to own one.

Glock has paved the way for many of the other gun manufacturers to offer polymer framed pistols in their line, but none have stood the test of time like they have.

I'm sure Obama would be glad to hear you've purchased a new pistol in his honor. LOL
I've read where his new Attorney General, ( Eric Holder?) ain't much on the perservation of the second amendment, either.

#6 ·
I've read where his new Attorney General, ( Eric Holder?) ain't much on the perservation of the second amendment, either.
Lam, that's pretty much the understatement of the year (but it's only January - smile). He is so anti-gun it is scary. It totally pisses me off that the Republicans are hardly putting up any opposition to him. They've turned in to gutless wonders as far as I can tell.

As for the cut rifled barrels for Glocks, the two biggest suppliers I know of are Lone Wolf Distributors and KKM. The one I got was a KKM and I bought it from Glock Meister, the same place where I bought the gun. It is a perfect drop in fit and has functioned flawlessly with a variety of bullet profiles, including 200g SWC cast bullets in my old handloads.

Dave

#7 ·
I have tried all the connectors and came down to a Ghost. Best one so far. It has the right angle and tension from the factory set. Lone Wolf second choice. I change the angle just slightly on the cruciform and spin the firing pin safety in a drill to knock the sharp edge off the bottom, then spin it with some fine emery. I polsh the angle lever that pushs it up with emery. No angle change just polsh. I polish the striker butt a little and leave it at ninety. I lube the connector w/ the old black Owl crap called gunslick in the little silver tube where the re-set and connector meet. It has a Moly B content which really slicks it up. I do not like the new mag release on the SF! It causes the mag to hang up upon release. The SF mags will work in the old 21, but the old 21's will not work in the Sf. I like the old 21's the grip is not too big for me. I hate the add on rubber grip slips. I always just heat gun the back strap and cave it in a little, then wood burn stipple the grip frame. Who cares, it's just a Glock. I like them better than all the others for thier inherant simplicity. They will shoot even if the trigger return spring breaks, just flip the trigger forward with your finger. I always clean the striker channel out with a Q-tip and make sure no cotton was left it. I do not lube my Glocks much, and never use anything but Breakfree on the rails. Only thing I do not like about the Glock is the little plastic liner in the striker channel. I always make sure the striker is free before assembly by holding the slide upside down and pushing the firing pin plunger in. This should let the striker fall forward under it's own weight. I always pop a cap to make sure it runs after cleaning, then swab the barrel. Need help fitting a bl? Just ask. Hood extension and bottom of the chamber area is usually all it takes. I love the Glock system. 30 or 40 thousand through them so far.

#10 ·
Lambow, I am still learning everyday! I worked with Jim Wilson and Ron Philips from Wilsons, they both have 20 plus years and have forgot more than I know. I just payed attention to them while I was there. I also did general gunsmithing with an "Old Fart" for 10 yrs. when I was young. I would spend time every day back then learning all I could. I used to do action jobs on S%W revolvers back when thats what was populer. I still like a good wheel gun. I am also not afraid to try stuff out. I have ruined a lot of stuff learning, but I also figured out what I did wrong most of the time. I do not have anywhere to work, but I visit Ron Philips weekly in his own shop and talk about stuff. Maybe when I re-tire I will unite with Ron and push the file again. Seriuosly it takes years just to learn the file. I will help anyone here anytime as much as I can. Just ask, if I know I will tell you how. If I do not, I will not give you bad advise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.